Driving your Vehicle into Afghanistan

Self-driving the Silk Road.
ktmtobcn

Driving your Vehicle into Afghanistan

Post by ktmtobcn »

Hello,

I could not find this info in your website, maybe some people have the response. I want to drive into the Wakhan Corridor with my own bike via Tajikistan. I have read some confusing staff about the red tape to get into the country with your vehicle. Some say that a permit issued by the embassies is needed at a cost of USD 100 (reportedly named RUPOS). Other say that it has to be bought at the border at a cost of USD 200.

Apart from the RUPOS it is said there is an extra USD 100 custom fee but it is not clear too...

Any idea on this? Can I get the so called RUPOS at any embassy? I am getting my visa at the Afghan Embassy in Islamabad but getting into the country through Tajikistan. A bit confusing altogether...

Thanks, as always!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Driving your Vehicle into Afghanistan

Post by steven »

Ooo, interesting one. I read once about someone cycling in the Wakhan in Afghanistan. I dont recall he had to pay or get a special permit. Are you sure this apples to bicycles as well, not just to cars?

Anyway, cannot help you with concrete info, sorry.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Here is a comment left on the site last week from a woman with a motorbike

I entered Afghan via Termiz (Uzbek). I was body searched, but no hassles. Everything was done in less than 30mins,and bringing in own vehicle is FOC (free of charge).
I exit Afghan via the same border, and it took me less than 10mins. Very easy.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

eurasiaoverland

Post by eurasiaoverland »

RUPOS lol...

It's a Route Pass

I entered three times with a 4x4 without one (Torkham, Heyratan and Torghundi borders), though each time they were requested and I argued my way out of having one. I don't think this will work at the Ishkashim border however as they see a few bikers and the embassy in Khorog issues them.

They cost US$ 100, in addition to the visa. Be glad if you get one and have the chance to drive in Afghanistan.
0 x
Almost six years and a quarter of a million kilometres by road in Eurasia: http://eurasiaoverland.com