Renting a 4X4 / jeep in Almaty

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Guillaume

Renting a 4X4 / jeep in Almaty

Post by Guillaume »

Hi there,

Does anyone can inform me on how to rent a 4x4 or a jeep in Almaty ? I've been browsing the web but so far options seem a bit overpriced (100-150$/a day). The idea being as you might imagine to tour Altyn Emel and Charyn Canyon for a few days.
Is it that costly or are there any cheaper options ?

I've been trying to recruit other people to share the cost of a tour but replies have been scarce so far, so I want to explore every options before I get there :)

Thanks a lot !

Guillaume
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Renting a 4X4 / jeep in Almaty

Post by steven »

Have not found anything cheaper. We do get a lot of tour requests for those destinations, so if you send a tour request through us, checking that you don't mind a group tour, it should be possible to get you into a group with other travelers if you are a little bit flexible with dates.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Thank you Steven,

Will do. I just might be accompanied with one or two fellows with any luck, we're trying to set something up right now.

So that I keep every options open, can you give me some adress / name / companies for 4x4 renting in Almaty ? I found some very generic stuff on the web, maybe you have something more reliable.

Thanx again !
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

The only one I know and trust are these guys.

http://caravanistan.com/car-rental/marat/

Could be others out there, still unknown.
0 x

Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Hello Steven, hello y'all,

My buddy and I are planning to rent a 4x4 for 4 days from August 11 onward (Still need confirmation from Marat though ;))
I confess that decision was made in a bit of a hurry, hence that post.

Below is the itinerary that we (more or less) plan to do :
https://goo.gl/maps/KHkiM8nSzCy

What do you think about it ? Do-able in 4 days ? (May be a bit lot, since i do not want to spend my days in a car, maybe we'll skip Charyn and concentrate on Altyn, dunno)
These seem to be 'main' roads according to google maps, any idea on their general conditions is good to get !
I bought a map of the area, but haven't had time to look a it closely yet.

It's just a bit too early to tell but if we can make it, anyone wanting to share this trip with 2 French guys is welcome !

As always, thanks a lot for all the precious info :)
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Roads are good everywhere, but dont speed! Only in altyn emel roads are crap. It is still a lot of driving but it is doable. Adding Kolsai lakes would be too much.
0 x

Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Hi both,

my girlfriend and me will be in Almaty as of August 18th and would also like to hire/share a 4x4 to explore the surroundings of Almaty.
@Guillaume: In case you ... by chance ... shifted your trip by one week, we would love to join you guys.
@Steven: If you know anybody who is in the same situation like us, would be great if you can pass on my contact details.

Thanks and all the best
Simeon
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi Simeon, best idea is to repost your request in the travel sharing forum and on couchsurfing. Haven't read anyone with a similar request.
0 x