Self-driving Iran: with or without carnet de passage?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Persistence

Iran without a Carnet D Passage

Post by Persistence »

I have been told that it is possible to take a vehicle through Iran without a Carnet de Passage. That the process was to pay a bond into a bank on entering and retrieve that money on exiting with the vehicle.
I have no possibility of obtaining a Carnet de passage while travelling. As well as that I don't want the hassle of stuffing around with insurance companies and Auto clubs.

Does anyone have any real information in this regard?
A couple of years ago I met a bloke in an old ambulance who was on the Mongol Rally. He said he paid the money but he didn't realise he could get it back at the exit border and didn't.

My vehicle is currently in Turkey and has Australian registration.

Persistence.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Iran without a Carnet D Passage

Post by steven »

I wrote about this in the past. Read this page: http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/iran/
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Persistence

Post by Persistence »

I found this on Iranianvisa.com.
The Temporary Entrance of Automobiles
The temporary entrances of passenger cars are possible as the following:
Aliens and Iranian residents abroad can import their Automobiles temporarily by receiving the carnet de passage or tripque booklets from the motoring centers in the original country.
These automobiles should be exited from Iran when the permitted period (3 months) is over.
Passengers who could not get the carnet de passage or triptique booklets in the origin country, should get the temporary admission license in the entrance frontier by putting deposit or a bank bond on security.

If this is the same as other countries the security will be refunded on exiting.
Persistence
2 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

This seems to be similar to other reports: without CDP you pay a bond which you get back on exiting. Will you try to do it yourself or enlist the help of a tour operator?
0 x

Persistence

Post by Persistence »

Hello Steven.
We will try to do this ourselves, unless we accidently find a tour operator who has someone at the border who will assist. My experience in the past at other borders is that the assistant is likely to claim it is all fixed but later you find that it is not right and you lose your money or get into trouble because of something else to do with the paperwork. If you do it yourself you have no-one to blame but yourself if it is not right.
1 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by saule »

True. I am thinking of entering iran as well next year without the carnet, so i am very interested in your experience. Keep us updated!
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team

greenolives

Post by greenolives »

Anyone have any update or information on this topic?
0 x

DinoOnTheRoad

Self-driving Iran: with or without carnet de passage?

Post by DinoOnTheRoad »

We want to enter Iran with our own car from Turkey or Armenia. We don't have a Carnet de Passage. We would like to stay for about two months, and leave towards Turkmenistan.
We contacted hossein to get the 'Iranian CDP'. Now we got to know that this would only be valid for 10 days. Anyone having experience of a longer stay?
On wikitravel we read that one can get a transit visa for 150 euros valid for 3days. One has to pay a fine when overstaying of 60 euros. We would be glad to hear from anyone who did that.
Any suggestions are welcome
Thanks and sending smiles,
Daniel & Ayla
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Entering Iran with own car

Post by steven »

Is this good Hossein or bad Hossein that you contacted?

https://caravanistan.com/transport/driving/iran/
0 x

DinoOnTheRoad

Re: Entering Iran with own car

Post by DinoOnTheRoad »

Good question :)
First I contacted 'bad' Hossein and when I came across your review of both of them I contacted the 'good' one. It was quite a confusing experience. In short: bad Hossein could do the one month Iranian CDP for 450 $, payment in advance; and 'good' Hossein insisted first that it is only possible for 10 days (he got even angry on the phone) and then, when finding out that his rival could do it, the situation suddenly changes. Now he says 'hopefully there is a way to make it possible', 1 month would cost 600 Euros. On the one hand I dont like do do the payment in advance, and on the other I'm confused by the sudden change, the 'hopefully' and that it would cost quite a lot more. Whom to trust?
I'm happy about any suggestion and especially curious about recent experiences of other travelers,
Ayla
0 x