Self-driving Iran: with or without carnet de passage?

Self-driving the Silk Road.
pegiottino125

Re: Iran without a Carnet D Passage

Post by pegiottino125 »

Any update about this topic. I am riding a 125cc motorcycle and in one week I should be at the Turkish/Iranian border but I don't have the CDP
0 x

murg

Re: Carnet de passage for IRAN

Post by murg »

Hej,

you can easily get a CDP If you are not in a hurry & aren''t afraidof the costs.

I an referring to the German Automobile Club -ADAC.

https://www.adac.de/reise-freizeit/fahr ... s/english/

They give CDPs to almost everyone, but I guess an Italian Organisation will provide the same Services.

You have to fill an application including frame and engine Number.
You mail this with some more documents to their Munich Head Office, pay the fee &the deposit.
They send you the CDP, worldwide.

This will take at least 2 weeks.

You should not mention Iran. Choose India or Pakistan instead.
This will improve proceedings.
2 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

bunbunicel

Re: Self-driving Iran: with or without carnet de passage?

Post by bunbunicel »

HI, can I enter Iran from Armenia without a passage card?
0 x

fanningmalta89

Post by fanningmalta89 »

Hi,

Does anyone know if an ATA Carnet is the same as a Carnet de Passage?
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Hi,
Not the same, and you can't enter in Iran with your car with an ATA, you need a CDP.
RR.
2 x

Bodhi.w

Post by Bodhi.w »

Thought I would share my recent experience on bringing a car into Iran (September 2019). As we are Australians who purchased a car in Europe with export number plates (another headache), we were not able to get a carnet de passage. The two options were to either try to arrange our own carnet (including leaving a deposit, etc) or engage an agent to arrange it. We had friends in Iran who tried finding out about arranging our own carnet, but they found it really difficult to get information about the deposit amounts and payments, etc. We also contacted the Iran tourism information, but they referred us to an extremely expensive travel agent.

We decided to go with Mr Hossein from www.iranoverland.com, the same Mr Hossein who is recommended in the lonely planet. We crossed from Turkey at Bazargan and Mr Hossein met us at the border. Immigration was pretty straight forward, but the paperwork for the car took about 5 hrs to process. However, while we waiting Mr Hossein took us into the town for breakfast and to change some money and explained a lot of the unusual but important points about travelling in Iran. Overall a great experience and highly recommend this Mr Hossein for process.
1 x

barakamonk

Post by barakamonk »

Greetings everyone!

Feeling honoured to refloat this topic in 2021 (or Year 2 of the Covid Era) :-D

We are currently waiting in Armenia for Iran to re-open for tourists with our 2 very old but extremely beautiful classic motorbikes and just now found out about this Carnet de Passage anachronic bureacratic requirement.

After much reading and research online, I'd like to ask in this forum if anyone has direct experience obtaining by themselves (without the help from a local fixer) the Temporary Import Permit at the Nordooz border, which seems to be the most favourable even according to "the good Hossein"'s website ;-)

We are pondering our options, but if Iran finally opens, given that our motorcycles are valued at only €150 each (we've already shown copies of the purchase contract at other borders), it seems logical to think the deposit should not be too high.

Besides, everything points at Iranian people to even be more amiable, hospitable and helpful than Armenians or Georgians (which must be difficult!)

Thanks everyone for any tips regarding this matter ^^;
0 x

Hound_Dog

Post by Hound_Dog »

barakamonk wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 am
Greetings everyone!

Feeling honoured to refloat this topic in 2021 (or Year 2 of the Covid Era) :-D

We are currently waiting in Armenia for Iran to re-open for tourists with our 2 very old but extremely beautiful classic motorbikes and just now found out about this Carnet de Passage anachronic bureacratic requirement.

After much reading and research online, I'd like to ask in this forum if anyone has direct experience obtaining by themselves (without the help from a local fixer) the Temporary Import Permit at the Nordooz border, which seems to be the most favourable even according to "the good Hossein"'s website ;-)

We are pondering our options, but if Iran finally opens, given that our motorcycles are valued at only €150 each (we've already shown copies of the purchase contract at other borders), it seems logical to think the deposit should not be too high.

Besides, everything points at Iranian people to even be more amiable, hospitable and helpful than Armenians or Georgians (which must be difficult!)

Thanks everyone for any tips regarding this matter ^^;
Yes Iranian people are extremely friendly and hospitable. The Iranian authorities are more often than not the exact opposite and can be very, very difficult to deal with. I am amazed that you did not know about the requirement for a CDP beforehand as pretty much everyone knows it is, whatever the case though I would say it will be extremely difficult to get and TIP without a fixer. Good luck.
2 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

You have probably enough time before borders open to get a quote for ADAC or other carnet supplier.
They can FedEx the carnet to Yerevan if it's approved.
1 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

barakamonk

Post by barakamonk »

Thanks both for your input.

Hossein replied with a $400 quote per bike for a TIP with duration as long as our (theoretical) tourist visa.

We didn't really know which route we were taking or if it was even possible to go East at all...so we're pretty much improvising along the way with visas and paperwork. Such is traveling in Covid times ;)

I'm still hoping for Azerbaijan to open in November so we can go the Kazakhstan route :fingers crossed:

Also waiting for a quote from Spanish RACE for the official CDP, which should be a bit lower. And like you said, we have enough time.

Thanks again for the help.
0 x