Iran for big cars > 2500 cc

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Peymanza

Iran for big cars > 2500 cc

Post by Peymanza »

I live in Canada and am planning on buying a vehicle here to bring to Europe and Iran while I'll be there on vacation. It won't be staying in Iran and will come me back with me when I leave. I have an Iranian passport. I was speaking with a carnet company and they said I can't bring a vehicle that is more then 2500 cc. Any truth to that or any exceptions?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: What vehicle allowed into Iran

Post by steven »

I don't know for certain, but it sounds unlikely. This would basically mean that no trucks would be allowed into Iran. No big jeeps or big vans. I know for certain there are a lot driving around.

Is it an Iranian carnet company?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sekimdr

Post by sekimdr »

I don't think like that.
Check this posting: https://blog.naver.com/sekimdr/220911971856

They travelled Iran by their bus. Its engine capacity is nearly 4000cc.
I travelled Iran by 2000cc SUV. I entered Iran from Armenia, and emigrated to Turkmenistan.

You can contact Houssein if you want Iranian carnet. It costs about 600euro to travel in Iran.
The guy on the top in the posting is Houssein who is an Iranian carnet dealer.
0 x

JolandaB

Post by JolandaB »

According to the Swiss Touring agency, which issues the Carnet de Passage it is a new law since February 21, 2018. Cars worth more than USD 40.000 or with a cc of more than 2500 cc are not allowed in the country. They have asked for clarification at the Iranian Touring club. The goal of the measure is to keep out expensive cars like Porsches etc.
1 x

sekimdr

Post by sekimdr »

Recently, I questioned about this to Houssein who is an Iranian carnet dealer.
My question was like this:
-------------------------------
Recently I heard a news about vehicle restrictions entering to Iran.
The news is "Since February 21, 2018. Cars worth more than USD 40.000 or with a cc of more than 2500 cc are not allowed in the country."

Is this true ?
As you know, many Koreans are traveling with their bus which has engine capacity of over 2500cc. [/i]
------------------------------

He replied quickly as written below:
Regarding your question : That restriction is for companies or Iranian people who want to import vehicle to Iran but tourists still can bring their cars and etc with different engine sizes.
2 x

eurasiaoverland

Post by eurasiaoverland »

I think this is a case of mis-communication somewhere down the line.

Imagine if they really banned vehicles with engines greater than 2500 cc or valued above $40k. That would mean no lorries can enter. What kind of country would do that?

There are strict import restrictions for permanently importing a vehicle (hence why you see so few imported cars in Iran), but these do not apply to cars brought in temporarily.

Remember that the whole idea of a carnet de passages en douane is, as he name suggests, a document / treaty to allow people to temporarily bring in vehicles without being subject to import duties.

EO
2 x
Almost six years and a quarter of a million kilometres by road in Eurasia: http://eurasiaoverland.com

Lysistrata

Restriction also for cars / trucks entering Iran?

Post by Lysistrata »

Hello everybody
As we meet some motocyclists that were rejected at the Iranian border, we like to know if there are also some overlanders by car / truck have been rejected or if this is only a rumor yet?
We plan the border crossing next week, coming from Turkey with our 7,5t truck.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Restriction also for cars / trucks entering Iran?

Post by steven »

Let us know!
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Lysistrata

Post by Lysistrata »

Hi,

Some days ago we asked about bordercrossing with (big) vehicles. Now we would like to share our experience.

Due to all the rumors concerning not only restrictions / rejections for motorbikes but also big vehicles, we decided to try the border crossing Turkey / Iran not at Bagajan/Dogubajazit as planed but a smaller one. We took the Border Razi/ Kapiköy. The route at Turkey site was in excellent condition, also the buildings quite big and modern with a duty free shop in it. There where a lot of dolmus bringing passengers, we didn't see any other vehicle passing the border. We could go directly without waiting to a desk officer. The exit was without any problem, our family get separated: Mother and children had to pass an exit control, which took 10min whereas the driver could pass the turkish border directly, no exit control of the vehicle or luggage. They controlled our passports and also the iranian visa. Than we were handled to the iranian collegues.

The iranian side was much more basic, very small, dusty gravel road, half a dozen of container stalls where all formalities took place. With our truck half of the place was full. Also here mother and children had to wait in the car, father had to go from container to container to do all the formalities.

Then mother and children must go to a "face control", they compared our face with the fotos in the passport. At the end there was a very short (3min) control of the vehicle, they opened some cupboards and the fridge and my husband was asked if we carry whiskey (!?!) in our bottles. We didn't have to pay any fees and they weren't interested at all in insurances. There were 2-3 moneychanger asking us if we want to change but we didnt. At the end they opened a door and let us pass through. Unfortunatly it wasn't foreseen for high vehicles so we killed a cable what wasn't a problem at all (it was already fixed at least once…) .

Our size of engine (5800cc) was never thematisized. Everything went smoothly, no hassle, no problem. We can recommand this border.

The whole procedure took us about 1hour; we saw only one other private car in this time, most of people seem to come by public traffic (dolmus), do the bordercrossing and continue by public traffic / taxi at the other side. The road just after the border was basic but ok, and soon there was a good road even we had to take some deviations because of the flood 2 weeks ago.

At Khoy (next bigger city) we were looking for some change office but this wasn't easy at all, so we asked some police officers who guided us very friendly through the town, waved away (also through megaphone) other vehicles, helped us to get a place to park the truck and then one of them guided my husband through a big bazaar to a change office where we get a really good exchange rate :-). After that we were guided through the city by the police, looked for gazstation where we get our diesel.

Hope this helps.
1 x

Danaskeen

Post by Danaskeen »

Hi thanks for you’re response. Can I ask where your from? Do you think the issues might have been affecting British and Americans
0 x