Iran for big cars > 2500 cc

Self-driving the Silk Road.
Lysistrata

Re: Restriction also for cars / trucks entering Iran?

Post by Lysistrata »

Hi, we're a Swiss-German Couple with twins of both nationalities. Our car is a Mercedes Benz 911 truck as you can see on our avatar.

As I mentioned, we didn't have the smallest problem at Kapiköy border. But as we heard from the FB Asia Overland Forum cars with an engine >2500 (3000?) are also have been rejected there last week...what a pitty!
1 x

Lovetheworld

Re: Restriction also for cars / trucks entering Iran?

Post by Lovetheworld »

We took that border the other way in 2012, when it had just opened. I guess it improved, but not much. It was very busy at the time.
Had to pay export tax for the diesel I was bringing out of Iran! (no, it was not import tax in Turkey)

They ask for whisky because you are not allowed to bring alcohol into the country. Never answer that you have any alcohol, even if it sounds friendly or is said as a joke.
0 x

klaasvanpanhuis

Re: Iran for big cars > 2500 cc

Post by klaasvanpanhuis »

Can someone confirm that the situation did not change since may 2019
0 x

caamer

Post by caamer »

Friends. I have an update on this thread based on my conversation with Mr. Hossein (not sure if I had a conversation with the "Good Mr. Hossein" or the bad "Mr. Hossein".

I am a dual citizen (Pakistan and USA). I have a jeep wrangler (AMerican manufacturer), which is registered in the US. He told me that that I could get an entry visa into Iran on my Pakistani passport, to get into the country. He said it would be easier to get that visa than on the US passport.

He also notified me that I can drive into Iran from any of the neighboring borders by myself, with American registration, as long as the manufacturer is not American (which in my case it is). I would need to purchase a Carnet de passage on the border.

SO there are a few variables here.

Person. What is your citizenship. Can you get a visa into Iran.
Automobile Registered in: What country is the automobile registered in. Apparently in the past, US, Canadian, and British registered automobiles were not allowed to enter.
Brand of your automobile: It, absolutely cannot be US, British or Canadian brand automobiles. I think it apples to all people with all types of passports, but I am not 100% sure about the second half of that.

Hope this helps.

-aamer
2 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

I would need to purchase a Carnet de passage on the border.
I wonder if this is even possible, only stories i found of travellers without carnet is; they had help to get a temporary import license and this was mostly only valid for two weeks.
0 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

caamer

Post by caamer »

Valid question Koen. Whether you enter a border to TIP or a CDP, it involves local custom officians and local custom rules and regulations of that country.
0 x

dutchramblers

Post by dutchramblers »

Any recent update on this? We are planning to cross Iran border coming months but have an American car, a Dodge Ram. So clearly American make. Will this be rejected at border?
0 x