India to Italy by motorbike - summer 2019

Self-driving the Silk Road.
frappoli

India to Italy by motorbike - summer 2019

Postby frappoli » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi all,

my girlfriend and I are currently living in India and planning to go back to Italy by next summer.
The dream is to do it by road, driving an Indian bike we own.

We are at the very beginning of the planning here and have very limited info, hence seeking all possible sort of advice and suggestions you world travelers may have for us!

Can anyone help with relevant information on the safest way to get to the Stans from India?
I searched a bit but can't find any way to get to Tajikistan without crossing the Pak border - is that correct?

The other big question I have is: how really doable is it to get back to Europe on an Indian registered bike?
Any direct or indirect experience on this would be a huge help for us.

Looking forward to all your responses
And very sorry if much of this is covered in other topics - i looked into the forum and got quite lost :)

Best,
Francesco
0 x

nomadichappiness

Re: India to Italy by motorbike - summer 2019

Postby nomadichappiness » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi, I know this guy has done it 3 or 4 years ago : https://thescenicroutethroughlife.com/
Scroll through the blog posts and you might find infos on his travel with an Enfield from India to Spain.
0 x

murg

Postby murg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:07 am

frappoli wrote:Hi all,

my girlfriend and I are currently living in India and planning to go back to Italy by next summer.
The dream is to do it by road, driving an Indian bike we own.

Can anyone help with relevant information on the safest way to get to the Stans from India?
I searched a bit but can't find any way to get to Tajikistan without crossing the Pak border - is that correct?

Francesco

Ciao Francesco,

If you want to ride in Tadjikistan there is no way to skip Pakistan. Well, maybe one:
You could ask a Chinese tour Operator if a Transit from India to China is possible. If it is, it will cost a fortune!

But I recommend that you ride as follows:
India - Wagah/Atari border - KKH - China (still expenssive, about 1500 EUR per Person/bike) to either Tadjikistan (Qulma Pass) or Kirgistan (Irkeshtam Pass).

Anyway, maybe we'll meet somehere. We ride from Germany to Nepal, starting end of April, arriving in India around 4th of June.

I do not see a reason why an Indian registred vehicle shouldn't be allowed in the EU - but you should definetly have all the necessary papers - Indian an International Version!

Take care - enjoy your trip!
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Hi. Did you manage to live this adventure? Miguel Bechet
0 x