How to buy/sell a car from/to a traveller

Self-driving the Silk Road.
belabarenyi

Post by belabarenyi »

Hello hello,

If i sell my car to traveller, what do i have to pay attention to?
It was written that i don´t have to import anything if i sell it to another traveller. But, i wonder how to explain at the boarder when i fly out that i broght a car into a country (kazakhstan in my case) and leave it without. Which papers do i need?

thanks for your help,

felix
0 x

belabarenyi

Re: How to sell a car to a traveller

Post by belabarenyi »

As the initial idea was to drive the car back to germany via russia, i still have documents in germany to register the car.
things have changed, so we will fly out but i have a friend in germany who is willing to drive the car back.

I have the following idea, let me know what you think about that.
I deregister the car here in Kazakhstan and he registers the car on its name in germany and sends me the copy of the new documents. The new documents will show that the car with the serial number that i brought to kasakzhstan now belongs to someone else. The date of the document shows clearly that the car was sold (and registered again) after I entered kazakhstan and the personal data of the new owner show that the car is still registered in germany (because it also mentiones the adress)
A copy of this documents and a original contract of selling in english could be enough at the boarder.

What do you think?

Only problem might be, that I can only show a copy of the new documents...

by the way: i always wondered but i´ve never had to fill in any documents at any boarder. When i left the EU to ukraine I showed them die papers of the car, they put the serial number in the PC and attached it virtually to my passport. Same happend in Georgia and Russia. The registration of the car as written on the number blades was put in my kazakh visa ("additional information") when i applied for it in germany. At the kazakh boarder they checked the car papers and my passport but didn´t copy the serial number of the car again...

let me know about what you think about this plan,
basically it is also a nice option to leave the car behind to get it back later

regards,
felix
0 x

Don Malkemus

Re: How to sell a car to a traveller

Post by Don Malkemus »

Hello belabarenyi ,

How did this work out?

Cheers,

Don

belabarenyi wrote:As the initial idea was to drive the car back to germany via russia, i still have documents in germany to register the car.
things have changed, so we will fly out but i have a friend in germany who is willing to drive the car back.

I have the following idea, let me know what you think about that.
I deregister the car here in Kazakhstan and he registers the car on its name in germany and sends me the copy of the new documents. The new documents will show that the car with the serial number that i brought to kasakzhstan now belongs to someone else. The date of the document shows clearly that the car was sold (and registered again) after I entered kazakhstan and the personal data of the new owner show that the car is still registered in germany (because it also mentiones the adress)
A copy of this documents and a original contract of selling in english could be enough at the boarder.

What do you think?

Only problem might be, that I can only show a copy of the new documents...

by the way: i always wondered but i´ve never had to fill in any documents at any boarder. When i left the EU to ukraine I showed them die papers of the car, they put the serial number in the PC and attached it virtually to my passport. Same happend in Georgia and Russia. The registration of the car as written on the number blades was put in my kazakh visa ("additional information") when i applied for it in germany. At the kazakh boarder they checked the car papers and my passport but didn´t copy the serial number of the car again...

let me know about what you think about this plan,
basically it is also a nice option to leave the car behind to get it back later

regards,
felix
0 x

Paloma

Post by Paloma »

Hello,

We are a Spanish couple (living in Austria) and we would like to travel around central Asia in July/August 2019. We are thinking in buying a car from a traveler but we have some doubts about it. Can we have problems crossing borders as the car papers are not in our name? How people normally do? I am afraid of having problems with the police because of that.

I have also seen some posts of travelers offering their cars to drive them back to Europe. Does anyone know how that works? In this case you do not even have a buying contract...

Thanks in advanced!

Paloma
0 x

rkvis

Re: Buying a car from a traveler

Post by rkvis »

Hello,

I like the idea of driving only one way and someone else drives the car back. Many people can not get enough holiday to drive both ways. I think just driving someone else car isn´t a big problem. The car owner only has to write a permission so you can prove you didn´t stole the car.
I also wonder how to buy a car abroad. How about the registration in the cars home country?

Thanks, Rögnvaldur
1 x

EllaG

Re: Buying a car from a traveler

Post by EllaG »

Hi Paloma,

Did you find any answer to your questions? My boyfriend and I have the same plan for next summer but we cannot find any info on the paperwork required and border crossing issues that we might face with a traveler's car. Let me know if you find more info! :)

Thanks
Ella
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Buying a car from a traveller

Post by steven »

Hi guys,

I don't know the details, you will have to figure it out on the spot. I think (not sure) how it works is that the owners gives you a power of attorney to drive it around legally, and then you register it in your home country. Could be wrong here, more info needed. But know that people do it on a regular basis, so it is possible.

Here is a basic guide to buying/selling your car in Central Asia: https://caravanistan.com/transport/driv ... ur-vehicle
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Paloma

Post by Paloma »

Thank you for the information Steven!

Ella, I did not find more information, I think it works like Steven said. I read some people who bought a car from a dealer in Kyrgyzstan and they got a power of attorney so I guess it is the same for a traveler's car. If I find something else I will let you know!

I have another concerned about the car insurance. While you are driving in central Asia you can buy insurance at the borders but once you arrive in Europe you are without it (and it is mandatory here). How people solve this?

Thanks,
Paloma
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

How do travelers from outside EU buy insurance for their car to drive in Europe? Probably carnet de passage or at the border as well, right? I don't know, it is outside of the scope of this website, but it should be easy to find out.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

sirk245

Re: How to buy/sell a car from/to a traveller

Post by sirk245 »

Hi all - we have a 2009 Nissan Micra and are looking for someone to drive it back to EU from Kazakhstan, Russia (Ulan Ude) or Mongolia end of August 2019. Since we are legally allowed to leave a car in Kaza for up to 12 months, we can also leave it behind for anyone traveling later in 2019. Send me a Whatsapp if you are interested +15705101805
1 x