Diesel quality in Central Asia Q&A

Self-driving the Silk Road.
KaYe

Diesel quality in Central Asia Q&A

Post by KaYe »

Hi there,

We would like to travel to Kazakhstan in 2020 with our Euro 6 Campervan and were wondering how currently the diesel quality is?
Our trip goes via Russia where apparently the diesel is fine (in bigger cities/larger gas stations).
We've read that the other Stan's will be challenging when it comes to Diesel quality, so we might park our camper and rent a local car to get around, will see.

Valuable advice appreciated :)

KaYe
0 x

roro

Re: Diesel quality in Kazakhstan?

Post by roro »

Very interesting question Indeed, the same for whole central Asia.
I've travelled through these countries 2 times (2015, 2018) with an Euro6 engine, difficult to know if it was with problem because this kind of problem doesn't occur quickly, and I've always added an additive in Gasoil to prevent problem withe "injectors" (sorry ,I don't know if it is the good English word).

RR.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

I do know that sometimes in Kazakhstan you see advertised that they sell normal diesel as well as Euro 5 diesel. Obviously choose the last one.
I have also seen signs where they said to be selling Russian diesel.
3 x

KaYe

Post by KaYe »

roro wrote:Very interesting question Indeed, the same for whole central Asia.
I've travelled through these countries 2 times (2015, 2018) with an Euro6 engine, difficult to know if it was with problem because this kind of problem doesn't occur quickly, and I've always added an additive in Gasoil to prevent problem withe "injectors" (sorry ,I don't know if it is the good English word).

RR.
Thanks for your update!
Could you maybe give us more information. What was your euro 6 car/van/truck? Does it has AdBlue as well? What kind of additive did you add? Did you have problems while driving over mountain passes? Or in general with a blocked dpf filter?
0 x

KaYe

Post by KaYe »

Lovetheworld wrote:I do know that sometimes in Kazakhstan you see advertised that they sell normal diesel as well as Euro 5 diesel. Obviously choose the last one.
I have also seen signs where they said to be selling Russian diesel.
Thanks Lovetheworld!! Maybe by next year they offer Euro 6 as well ;)
0 x

KaYe

Post by KaYe »

Great thx! I've found the map only until July 2018. I hope there will be more improvement by end of this year. :)
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Hi,
"What was your euro 6 car/van/truck? Does it has AdBlue as well? What kind of additive did you add? Did you have problems while driving over mountain passes? Or in general with a blocked dpf filter?"

Defender (Land Rover), No Adblue, Additive: http://www.bardahlfrance.fr/produits/54 ... azole.html
No problem over mountain except less power over 4300, 4400m.

RR.
1 x

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Any car has less power at 4000+ m altitude. (okay, an electric car will not have less power)
1 x

KaYe

Post by KaYe »

roro wrote:Hi,
"What was your euro 6 car/van/truck? Does it has AdBlue as well? What kind of additive did you add? Did you have problems while driving over mountain passes? Or in general with a blocked dpf filter?"

Defender (Land Rover), No Adblue, Additive: http://www.bardahlfrance.fr/produits/54 ... azole.html
No problem over mountain except less power over 4300, 4400m.

RR.
Thanks a lot Roro!!
I've checked the website, but couldn't find further information. Does this additive prevents as well the sulphur particle blockage of the diesel filter? Did you use it every time at the gas station? How old is your Land Rover? And how much time did you spent in the Stan's?

Lovetheworld wrote:Any car has less power at 4000+ m altitude. (okay, an electric car will not have less power)
Our concern is the bad quality diesel with lots of sulphur which will block the filter at some point (rather sooner than later), and even more on high altitude. worst case the car will stop. But we will investigate further how much it will affect our euro 6, and what can be done to prevent it.
0 x