Car insurance for Central Asia and Silk Road

Self-driving the Silk Road.
ALTHEWAYDOWN

Post by ALTHEWAYDOWN »

Hi, How to obtain a Car-Insurance for the Stan-States? My Belgium Insurance Green Card covered allready: Turkey/Iran/Russia/Ukraine. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Car Insurance

Post by steven »

You need to buy it in each country separately. See the different country articles under http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving for more info.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tarek

Post by Tarek »

Hi everybody,

I plan on going from France to Mongolia and back by car.

Unfortunately, my car insurance won't even provide me with basic liability insurance in a few of the countries that I plan to visit. Not only would I feel safer to be covered, but I read that in some countries it is actually mandatory to subscribe to one.

1- Does anyone have general information as how to procede? Should I subscribe to specific insurance before I enter these countries (for example online...)?

2- If not, is it generally possible to subscribe to an insurance at the border crossing?

3- If not, will the police at customs allow me to enter the country anyway? And if so, is it possible to drive all the way to town before I subscribe to an insurance? This is certainly a solution that I dislike but it also seems to be the way that most people seem to privilege. Maybe it is the only way?

4- Finally, what are the risks of not being covered? Are we only looking at financial penalties or jail time?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions at once, but for some reason I cannot find any answer on the topic, anywhere online...

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Tarek
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Car insurance

Post by steven »

Hello tarek, it is aproblem for everyone. Everything i know about insurance in the different countries is written under http://caravanistan.com/transport/driving and then check the different countries. Sometimes you can get it at the border, sometimes in a nearby city, sometimes it is really difficult to find and people tend not too bother. Some countries have it obligatory, others not. Horizons unlimited hubb forum is another good source of info for this.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D