Karakol to Tash Rabat

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
steven
Admin
Admin

Karakol to Tash Rabat

Postby steven » Mon May 23, 2016 5:17 am

Question I got via PM:

I will be in Kyrgyztan in August and I have a very basic travel plan for my 8-day trip:

Bishkek (1 day) – Karakol (2 days) - Tash Rabat (2 days) – Bishkek.

I have been looking at Kyrgyztan map trying to figure possible routes, but, as I am not familiar with transportation in Kyrzgyztan, it is not clear to me what is the best way to do it.

My main question is how to go from Karakol to Tash Rabat. Is it easier to to it directly, or should I go back to Bishkek (from Karakol) in order to move to Tash Rabat?

Another question is – do you think it is feasible for me to be part of a group of people going to Tash Rabat and returning to Bishkek (arranged through caravanistan.com - I will arriving in Bishkek on my own)?

Best regards

Djalma
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Karakol to Tash Rabat

Postby steven » Mon May 23, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Djalma,

From Karakol, the quickest would be to take a minibus or shared taxi to Kochkor, from Kochkor another one to Naryn (there might be a direct taxi/bus Karakol-Naryn, I don't know for sure) and from Naryn to Tash Rabat as part of a tour.

About your second question: I will ask Saule about the feasibility to book a trip from Naryn to Tash Rabat and back with a yurt stay there, with a group.

When are you coming exactly?
0 x
I read the forum every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:33 am

You can actually find marshrutkas along the south shore of Issykk-kol that run direct to Karakol. These are less frequent than marshrutkas along the north shore to Bishkek and Balykchy, but probably same time and aggravation since you won't have to change in Balykchy.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Krasen Jelyazkov

Postby Krasen Jelyazkov » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:30 am

There is a direct minibus (marshrutka) from Karakol to Naryn. It leaves Karakol at 9:30 am, passes Cholpon Ata, stops for lunch at Balykchy junction, then passes Kochkor and arrives in Naryn around 16:00 afternoon. I don't remember the price exactly, but it was very cheap, maybe cheaper than Bishkek-Cholpon Ata. We traveled by this minibus this August, 2018
1 x