Kirguistan in November? Are posible yurtas & border crossing

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
mariadecas

Kirguistan in November? Are posible yurtas & border crossing

Post by mariadecas »

Hello everyone, good travel to everyone who is on the road and congrats for this wonderfull web!!!

My name is María and I would like to travel by road (using public transports and ocasionally hitchhiking) from Istambul towards the East. I am starting on the 25th August and after Turquía, I will do Iran and hopefully Turkmenistan (tránsit visa), Uzbekistán and Kirguistán.

I would reach Kirguistán aproximately by mid November (around 10th November).

Would it be possible to stay in a Yurta in that month? And to visit Songkul? Or it would be close? Is the cold really extreme or is it bereable?

After Kirguistan, I would like to cross to Kasghar, but I dont know if in November the border crossing may be closed (or without any bus or lurrys going), due to the cold.

My plan is from
Kasghar, come back again to Kirguistan and cross to Kazajastan to fly from Almaty to Kathmandu. This border cross should be opened?

Regarding the pass from Ubezkistan (Fergama Valley or near) to Kirguistan (Omsh), would it be possible to cross it by road? Or in November the border crossing may be closed?

Thank you so much for all your help!

Regards and happy trips!

María
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kirguistan in November? Are posible yurtas & border cros

Post by steven »

Hello Maria,

thank you for the compliment. It will be too late to stay in a yurt with shepherds in november. They leave Song Kol half september at the latest. After that, there is definite snow and freezing cold. The border crossing to Kashgar is open year-round but will be slow and icy in November. Andijan to Osh is always open as well. Hope it helps, steven
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mariadecas

Post by mariadecas »

Thank you so much, Steven! So, do you think is better not to go to Kirguistán in November and not to cross the border to Kashgar by road?
Will Kashgar be the same cold as Kirguistán?
There are other places in Kirgustan that are wortly a visit in November and are not so cold as song-kul?
Fergana Valley, in Uzbekistán and cross to Osh will be possible?
Thanks a lot again! You have a great and reliable web!!!!
BR
María
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hello Maria,

Song Kol is not advised, hiking in general will be difficult, but skiing is a possibility. Everywhere will be cold except Ferghana Valley, have a look here for average temperatures: http://caravanistan.com/when-to-go/kyrgyzstan/ The 2 cities are on the plains, the rest of Kyrgyzstan is mountains. Osh - Ferghana is open. You can cross Kashgar by road. Just dress up warm.

Thanks again for the compliment, little donation is welcomed if you appreciate the time, effort and knowledge we put into the site!
0 x

mariadecas

Post by mariadecas »

Thank you so much, Steven.
Sorry for my late reply. Yes, I will do a contribution because you and the blog are very helpful :-)

So, in November (even in first days of December) it will be easy to cross to Kashgar by public transport and/or hitchhiking?

And do you know if for getting the China Visa I need to provide a fligth ticket? Because I will enter by land , but I dont know if it is possible to say that or I need to give a fake fligth booking ? And how to do it?

Thank you very much in advance!

BR

María
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, it will be cold, but there is transport.

In which country are you getting the Chinese visa. If you are getting it in Madrid, it probably is not an issue. It is advised to get it in your home country. If you are getting it in Bishkek or elsewhere in Central Asia, please look at the embassy reports on http://caravanistan.com/visa/kyrgyzstan, all info is there in detail. For Bishkek, at the moment you do not need a flight ticket.
0 x

mariadecas

Post by mariadecas »

Thanks Steven

In Spain now you need to do it through an oficial agency and they ask me for a return fligth! It seems not negotiable :-( Besides I will need to enter China in 3 months and it would not be possible.

I was thinking of ask for the visa in Teherán in case they can give me 3 months (or 2) to enter China. But I am not sure if they ask for fligth tickets.

Any news about Turkmenistan visas ? :-((((((

Regards !!!!!
0 x