Itinerary help - 5 weeks May & beginning of June

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
scuba2day

Itinerary help - 5 weeks May & beginning of June

Postby scuba2day » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 am

I have been trying to put together my itinerary for a trip to Kyrgyzstan,Uzbekistan,Kazakhstan,Tajikistan.
I will be arriving/departing Almaty. Arriving end of April/Beginning of May and departing the end of the first week in June.
My interests are historic sites, nature, hiking. I am not intested in doing several day hiking trip.
I prefer day hikes and possibly one or two hikes with an overnight in homestays.
I am trying to put together an itinerary that would be the best temperature-wise. I think visiting Uzbekistan first and working back toward Almaty.
This is what I have so far: Hope to get some comment and suggestions.

*Kazakhstan*
Train Almaty to Shymkent
Turkestan
*Uzbekistan*
Tashkent
Fly Tashkent to Nukus
Urgench/Khiva
Bukhara
Samarkand
*Tajikistan*
Penjikent
Fann mountains - Seven Lakes and Iskanderkul
Dushanbe
Khujand
*Uzbekistan*
Kokand
Rishtan, Margilan
*Kyrgyzstan*
Osh
Fly to Bishkek
Karakol - Issyk Kul
*Kazakhstan*
Almaty
Lake Kaindy
Kolsai Lakes
Aityn Emel National Park
Charyn Canyon
Tamgaly Tas
1 x

saule
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Itinerary help - 5 weeks May & beginning of June

Postby saule » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 am

Hi!
You covered most of the popular sights already. I agree that you should start in Uzbekistan first as the temperature is a little cooler.
Uzbekistan:
I suggest you fly to Khiva instead of Nukus. Unless you are going to Aral sea and visit Savitsky museum with a tour there is no need to go to Nukus.
The rest sounds reasonable. First, you visit Bukhara, then Samarkand and cross the border to Penjikent. You can spend 2-3 days in each location.
Tajikistan: Seven Lakes is a good place to hike for a day. You can stay overnight in a guest house on lake 4. Driving from Seven Lakes to Iskanderkul takes half a day. You can overnight in wooden chalets close to the shores.
Kyrgyzstan:
Instead of flying from Osh to Bishkek, why don`t you take the land route and stop at Arslan bob? It is a great hiking destination. Accommodation in guesthouses.
Kazakhstan:
You will need to take the tour to visit all the mentioned locations. There are group tours called Golden ring of Zhetisu https://caravanistan.com/tour/golden-ri ... su-6-days/ which are quite affordable for single travellers like you.

Let me know if you have any questions about suggested options.
0 x
Saule at Caravanistan team