Suggestions: From Central Asia to Mongolia via China (Xinjian)

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
alarencontredumonde

Suggestions: From Central Asia to Mongolia via China (Xinjian)

Post by alarencontredumonde »

Hi everybody!

We are two travellers overlanding since April from Istanbul. We use public transport mainly (bus, train) but hitchhike sometimes. I admit that planning the next part of our trip is a bit complicated as we want to go from Central Asia (Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan) to Western Mongolia, via China (XinJian). We already have our double entries 60 days visa for China.

I see very little experiences and informations about this route and I would be really happy to receive your suggestion for this part of our trip. Especially about border crossing. We don't plan to stay a lot in XinJian region (it won't be fun anyway I think), but we would like to do 1 or 2 nice things without exploding our budget (we will visit Tibet later and so we need to book a tour for that).

The first idea was to take the train from Almaty to Urumqi, but it seems more complicated? (maybe i am wrong) than the bus? But I would love to visit the Altai region a bit in Kazakhstan before leaving to China... And then from there I think the options are a bit limitted to then go to Mongolia.

Ideas, suggestions and experiences are more than welcomed :D
0 x