Uzekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan: Reservation advice

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
northinsouth1

Uzekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan: Reservation advice

Post by northinsouth1 »

My wife and I are planning to travel to CA in June and July 2020; we're both Americans. We're both pretty ardent planners, so we're wondering how far (and if) people reserve homestays, hotels, trains, drivers, etc. before arriving? We plan to arrive in Tashket, go to Samarakand, and from there, cross into Penjikent to hike the Fans, before going on to Dushanbe and the Pamirs. We then plan to cross over to Osh, explore Kyrgyzstan some (this is vague), and finish in Almaty, with a few days in the National Park. We're thinking about 6 weeks total. We intend to travel by train in Uzbekistan, but for other parts of the trip, reserve drivers or take shared taxi.

Thanks, in advance, for any tips or critiques. Best, J.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Uzekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan: Reservation advice

Post by steven »

I have never really booked anything more than 2 days out in Central Asia, but things are getting busier and definitely in Uzbekistan and on the Pamir Highway these days it pays to book in advance. A month or 2 in advance should be fine.

But like I said, many people arrange things on the spot. It's a bit more hassle and time wasted, but definitely possible if you are not picky about where you stay.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

northinsouth1

Post by northinsouth1 »

Thanks, Steven. This is very helpful. I tend to be somehow who plans way in advance as opposed to on the spot, but a few months out is a very happy medium.
0 x

kalimero44

Post by kalimero44 »

I spend a month in Uzbekistan and Tajikistan and the only place, I booked in advance was the trip to Pamir. I got train tickets in Uzbekistan couple of days prior to traveling. Everything else like taxi sharing was done on the spot. If you do wish to make booking, im guessing 2 months in advance would be ok. I can give you the contact of a Pamir Highway if you wish.

Cheers,

Carol
0 x

northinsouth1

Post by northinsouth1 »

Thanks, Carol: this seems to be the advice I've seen here and elsewhere. We actually have gotten a quote for Pamir from one of the tour people we contacted through Carivanistan, but if for some reason that doesn't work out, I'll definitely drop you a line and ask for a recommendation!
0 x