Where are you going? Why?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
jornk

Re: Where are you going? Why?

Postby jornk » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks a lot. I realise it's na ambitious plan. But we'll give it a try :)
0 x

silkroad

Postby silkroad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm trying to organize a silk road/railroad tour from Istanbul to Xi'an China, or alternately, starting in Tbilisi Georgia to Xi'an.

We'd like to visit Tehran, Ashgabat, Merv, Khiva, Samarkand, Tashkent, Bishkek, Almaty, Urumqi, Turban, Duhaung, Xi'an.

Could you organize and quote such a tour?

Do you have suggestions for a silk road tour?

We would be on, possibly two couples.
0 x

Marilena

Postby Marilena » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 am

Hello, Steven,

I am Marilena from Greece and I am traveling with my friend Melih who is from Turkey, starting from Istanbul this summer. We will travel to Georgia, Armenia, Iran and then continue north to Central Asia (cross with a transit visa Turkmenistan, then travel to Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgystan and finally, to Kazakhstan). We are really excited for this trip and we loved your website, not only because it can help us with the visas but because you have tons of information about everything we can see or do and all this is very motivational.
As far as the visas are concerned we are kinda confused cause the policies change all the time. How many days of visa preparation do we need before entering a country? Thank you in advance for a response!
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Marilena, happy to see you here. For the visas, it depends. For a big Silk Road trip, start as soon as you can. 3 months in advance is not a luxury.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Marilena

Postby Marilena » Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi Steven!
Thank you for the tip jar!
How many days in advance do you think we need in order to apply for visas to Turkmenistan (for us it will be the transit visa) and to Uzbekistan and Tajikistan? And what documents do you need? As far as I've understood, once you get a Loi, you can receive the visa from an embassy of your choice (For us it will be Tehran) and then you are ready to go (that means no hotel pre-booking, insurances etc). And what documents do you need us to send you? Please pm me so that i can talk to melih and we can start collecting the documents.

THANK YOU
Marilena
0 x

Marilena

Postby Marilena » Mon May 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Hello!
id like to ask, is Levetiracetam illegal in any of the countries ; Iran , Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgistan and Kazakhstan ?
Thank you
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue May 23, 2017 6:19 am

Hi Marilena, I answered your question here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2954
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

georgestravelsasia

Postby georgestravelsasia » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:04 pm

I just saw this post and although I already pitched in my share of questions and reports for the visa bogus I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave a few lines here :)
I'm a 26 year old pilgrim from France on his way to Nepal and India to visit the 4 major pilgrimage sites common to followers of the Buddha : Lumbini, Bodh-Gaya, Sarnath and Koshinagar.
Central Asia just happened to be on the way and I guess that is the main reason why I'm travelling here. I'm pretty focused on my destination and am not really into sightseeing. The biggest challenge for me was that I left without any funds whatsoever, no passport and needless to say no pre-arranged visa nor a single hour spent researching the possibility of visas on the road. My initial plan was to cross borders the good old way, but after being asked for my ID one time too many in Italy I started pondering if this was really a good idea. I indulged in some research and realized that most of the borders on my way were either physical borders rather hard to cross unnoticed (Evros river between Greece and Turkey, Marmara strait, Kush desert between Pakistan and India), were just plain walled and heavily patrolled (Pakistan-Iran border) or heavily mined (Pakistan-Afghan border). I resorted to make a passport and thought I would just do that on the way in any capital city that was more or less on my itinerary. Ended up stopping over in Tbilisi where I found shelter at a rainbow house and spent my days trying to collect enough money to purchase a passport and for visas ahead. Now in Tehran and still trying to fight for the necessary recommendation letter allowing me to apply for a Pakistan transit visa, or else just head south to Oman with the romantic hope to find a boat - or if not, people keen on treating me a plane ticket to India. (It's just 80$ if you're wondering... :D)
1 x

sebhoff

Postby sebhoff » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Just discovered this thread - so here's my introduction/plan...:

I'm Sebastian from Germany and travelling has been important for me for at least 30 years. Much of it has been to Asian countries, but I've not made it to any of the Stans yet. Luckily, my Malaysian wife shares my interest in travelling, and although she is admittedly somewhat more of a "creature of comfort", she's been more than happy join me in discovering new places. Most recently, we've been to Iran, Armenia and Georgia.

I don't own a car, and I love trains. I did the Transsiberian back in 1987 and trains have been my favourite mode of transport ever since. I've always been intrigued by the fact that there's a more southern way of travelling to (South-)East Asia, and that's what I'm currently planning for - let's call it "Germany to Malaysia, taking the scenic route".

I work in academia, and I'm currently tied up in an admin position that won't allow me to do long-term travelling for at least another 30 months. But dreaming about it is definitely a nice way to get my mind off other things. Once I'm back to my normal job, I'll be able to get a sabbatical of at least 6 (and possibly 12) months. And countless hours on trains with my laptop are fully compatible with my line of research... ;)

So that's why I'm here - because the Stans will be an important part of that journey (and because I've found Caravanistan to be immensely enjoyable and helpful). We'll probably start in Germany (near Luxemburg) and end in Kuala Lumpur. But then again, we might fly to southern Portugal first and also include the last stretch down to Singapore - we might as well make as much use of the train tracks on the two continents as possible! The primary mode of transport will be trains, but other overland transport will occasionally be necessary.

The current plan is: Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan (with possible detours to Kyrgystan and perhaps even Tajikistan) and then on to Urumqi, China. From there, EITHER via Kunming, Ruili/Muse to Lashio, through Myanmar to Thailand and then Malaysia (currently difficult to implement because of the China/Myanmar border crossing), OR via Kunming, Laos, Thailand (possibly even skipping Laos and travelling on a cargo boat directly to northern Thailand), OR via Nanning, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand to Malaysia. And if we have enough time left (and still love trains...) we could even travel back to Germany via the Transsiberian route...

Obviously, much can still happen during the next 2-3 years, and who knows what the world (of travelling, and in general) will look like in 2020/21 - but unless there's a drastic change in events, I'll be on Caravanistan for quite a while, dreaming and planning...

Sebastian
1 x

rkvis

Postby rkvis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Hello everybody,
Steven: congratulations with this website. It is a important masterpiece of work for all of us who love to travel. It is a one of his kind site and very informative.
My name is Rögnvaldur and I am from Iceland. I like traveling especially by car or plane. Because of it being tremendously expensive to take the car over the ocean all my trips where done by plane and rental car. But for longer trips one want to have his own car and can put all his own stuf in it. So far i never done long trips because of, you know, one is stuck in live and work and kids. So I am planning my first real overland trip now. The idea is to drive from Denmark down the Balkan countries to Turkey, Georgia, Armenia en Iran and back through Russia to Scandinavia. My wife and I don´t have the experience of long road trips and my wife is a bit afraid of this new kind of traveling so we decided to take first a 6 week trip to the Balkan next year to see wether we like it and get a little bit used to live in the car. For someone who has never been to the Balkan its maybe better to do that in a separate trip then doing it on the way to Iran because of we have limited time and I want to see as much as possible.
Why Georgia, Armenia and Iran? Well, I want it to be reasonably safe and I want to meet friendly and welcoming people. Oke, for someone living in one of the safest countries in the world the whole world is a unsafe place (no just kidding) but after starting to read on the internet I have seen that those countries should be safe and also the easiest ones for someone without experience. As europeans we don´t need a visa for Georgia and Armenia and the visas for Iran and Russia should be a good start to get some experience. I am not sure about Russia yet, I don´t know wether the landscape in that part of the country is exciting enough to drive a whole week. I am a bit excited to try the ferry from Georgia to Bulgaria tho. So maybe we take a few days into Russia from Georgia and then back with the ferry. But first we do the Balkan next year. I have to admit that reading the stories of other travelers have changed my mind about the people and the countries over there, in a good way.

Happy new year to all of you.

Rögnvaldur
1 x

Return to “Itineraries & trip reports”