Where are you going? Why?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Where are you going? Why?

Postby steven » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:24 am

Hi Alex, I know another Frenchman who has been traveling by hitchhiking extensively in Afghanistan. Send me a pm and I will give you his e-mail, he will have lots of tips to offer you.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Irlanski

Postby Irlanski » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Greetings to all from Ireland!
Planning Ireland to Kyrgyzstan solo by motorcycle, camping over a six to seven week period, leaving Ireland in Mid May and hopefully getting to Osh or Bishkek at the end of June. Route via Istanbul, Tehran Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Pamir highway.

Why? Well, I love travel, people and motorcycles. I have already rode throughout all of Europe and some of Russia - Its time to go further. I have always had a facination with this part of the world, I love mountains and I like a challenge which this is going to be, in so many ways - its already presenting many challenges even before I leave, for example the visas required are complex and uncertain, I need a carnet (which I cannot afford) for Iran and I plan to leave the bike for 10 months in Kyrgyzstan (fly home) but I understand that this may not be as simple as it was a just a year ago, due to new common customs arrangement beginning in 2016, and will my old bike (KLR650) even make it? I must be an idiot! Why don't I just go to France again and this time stay in posh hotels - its time I begun to act my age :?

Now busy prepping my motorbike and starting the visa research - expect to see much of me on this fantastic website and forum :D

Irlanski
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:28 am

Glad you joined us Irlanski!
0 x

SPR11

Postby SPR11 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:29 pm

The girlfriend (American/British) and I (Dutch) are almost leaving :D

The plan is finally coming together (save from some visa arrangements). Georgia-Armenia-Iran-Pakistan-China-Kyrgyzstan-Nepal-India-Bangladesh-(Indonesia if there are funds left).

Where possible overland (will fly from Amsterdam to Tbilisi, and will probably have to fly into Nepal, but besides that we are confident this is doable). This will be my fourth such trip, but still as excited as for the first one.

This site has been very helpful btw, thanks for all the hard work.
0 x
Ramblings about our Asian journies at www.lostwithpurpose.com
There's some useful info too.

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 am

You are welcome SPR11, please let us know where we could improve - and let us know any helpful travel tips that we have missed.
0 x

JnKln

Postby JnKln » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi there,

I'm Jan, 23, from Germany. I just graduated the university and plan to be off for 12 to 18 month or so, going eastwards. I don't have any restrictions nor exact destinations. As I am incredibly interested in persian culture my idea is to stay at least 2 month in Iran, cross over to Tajikistan and stay a while in Afghanistan. My farsi is just becoming more or less fluently, but I've still a lot to learn. I have always been kind of restless so I'm already freaking out to leave.
But most important I still struggle to find a way out of Afghanistan eastwards, because the Khyber-Pass is closed for foreigners. Well, loads of researches will help. Glad to be here! So, see you!!

Jan
1 x

andoni

Postby andoni » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 pm

I am doing a long bicycle journey (see www.andonionderweg.blogspot.be) in stages of 2 months. In principle I cycle 2 months every spring (May-June) and 2 months in autumn (September-October). After each stage I leave my bicycle and luggage in a safe and dry place (which I find via Warmshowers.org), and fly back to Belgium.
My last stage went from Istanbul through Turkey into Georgia. On May 2d I am returning to Tbilisi, and will cycle through Armenia and Iran. I will end in Mashad near the Turkmen border.
If I get all visa arranged during the summer, I would continue in September from Mashad into Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and further.
The reason? I simply like travelling by bike and discovering different worlds and people.
1 x

Emil Schmid

Postby Emil Schmid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Being since 1984 always "on the road" (www.weltrekordreise.ch) and having visited Central Asia already partly in 1995 (Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Russia), we intend to have a look this year also at Tajikistan and Mongolia. The biggest challenge seems to be organizing the visas from the UAE, where we are currently.
1 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:41 am

Hello Emil, andoni and JnKln,

very happy to read your inspiring stories. Hope to read more, I am getting very itchy feet.
0 x

Jan Koelstra

Postby Jan Koelstra » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:43 am

Hello Caravanistan,

I am Jan, a long distance bicycle traveller from the Newtherlands. From 1982 I have cycled over 286.000 kilometer. Most was in Europe, but I have been in the north of Africa a few times as well. I also cycled through Turkey to Georgia and Armenia twice. For maps and pictures have a look at my website.

After I have seen most corners in Europe I have started to kook outside this cintinent and central Asia is the next step to widen my horizon.
This year I am planning a large roundtrip: Starting from home via Germany, Poland, Belarus and Russia to Kazachstan. Then continue through Kyrgyzstan,Tadjikistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan to Iran. The way back home will probably go through Azerbaidjan, Georgia, Turkey the Balkan countries and across the Alps before winter is starting .

Altough I like to meet different eople and experience different cultures, I am mostly interested in landscapes, and from pictures I did see I have high expectations for the countries on the Silk Road. An other field of interrest is ancient history and I want to visit some sites with petroglyphs.

Jan
0 x
Jan Koelstra, Long distance bicyclist. For maps and pictures of 30+ years of travelling see my website

Return to “Itineraries & trip reports”