trip from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
wg035164
Supporter
Supporter

trip from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan

Post by wg035164 »

Dear experts,

we plan a trip along the silk road for next year and will travel very probably with a group meeting in Tashkent and going on to Urgench by air. We can therfore mett them in either place.

Before that we would likt to see Ashgabat, maybe Nisa, Derweze, maybe Konya-Urgench and then cross the border and continue to Urgench.

Is that feasible ? The alternative flying from Ashgabat to Tashkent and then back to Urgench is not really enticing.

BR
George
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: trip from Turkmenistan to Uzbekistan

Post by steven »

Hi George, that's absolutely feasible. Fly into Ashgabat, then go up overland. I would take 3-5 days for that trip, depending on your maybes.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

wg035164
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wg035164 »

now our plans have consolidated and our mutual trip will end in Tashkent. From there I would like to fly to Ashgabat and take a tour to Derweze. I could not find any direct connection and would need a very reliable one. Because from Ashgabat I would fly back to Europe and this must be booked in advance with almost no flexibility. Do I have some chance here ?

BR
George
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Sorry George,

I am not sure if I understood your question: you are looking for a flight Tashkent-Ashgabat, right?
0 x

wg035164
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wg035164 »

yes Steve exactly, I would like to fly on a Thurs. evening (preferably) or Fri morning from Tashkent to Ashgabat and I only found connections via Moscow or Istanbul which of course is no real option, Uzbek and Turkmen airlines do not offer anything on their websites

I would also settle for an overnight train ride

in Ashgabat this 3 day tour I found on your site would follow and then I would fly back to Europe. Since this must be booked well in advance I have very limited flexibility (unfortunately).

BR
George
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Hi George,

get in touch with the tour operator in Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan, they will be able to tell you if there will be a flight (I guess not).

Here is my suggestion:

1. a flight from Tashkent to Urgench, then cross the border towards Konye-Urgench, and drive down through the center of the country towards Ashgabat via Konye-Urgench and Darwaza.

2. a flight or train to Bukhara, then by car to the Turkmen border, and from there onwards to Turkmenabat. From there, make your way down to Ashgabat via Merv.

Talk to the tour operator for the final touches on your plan, they will be able to say with certainty what is feasible and what not with your time constraints.

Steven
0 x

wg035164
Supporter
Supporter

Post by wg035164 »

Dear experts,

it seems that the tour operators in Turkmenistan are rather expensive. Is it feasible to spend a day sightseeing in Ashgabat on your own if before having booked a tour from the border through Derweze to Ashgabat ?

BR
George
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

If you are traveling on a transit visa, and the tourist agency is simply picking you up at the border and providing transport within the country, then I can't see any issues about visiting Ashgabat on your own. If the tour agency is sponsoring you on a tourist visa they likely won't be too willing to do this (they likely want to be paid), even though I don't think you technically need to be accompanied in Ashgabat like you do elsewhere on a tourist visa.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Some are really fussy about this but others don't mind.
0 x