Kazakhstan in November

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Gabacho

Kazakhstan in November

Postby Gabacho » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Hello caravan people !
I’m now in Khiva, on my way to Nukus and then Moynaq.

I plan to go next by train to Aktau and would like to spend some weeks in Kazakhstan if the cold doesn’t make me leave earlier.

Therefore I have some questions :
- what would be the cheapest option to enjoy the Mangistau region, the natural scenery and landmarks without spending hundreds of dollars for a private tour as I’m traveling alone ?
- is it possible to visit the goulags around Kaganda in this time of Year ?
- I’m thinking to go to Aralsk on my way from Aktau to Kaganda but I read that most of the ships where removed. Is there still things to see beside the mosaic on the train station?
- I know that the Polygon is closed so apart from the previous places, Astana, Almaty and what the weather will allow me to do around this city (Charryn Canyon ?) is there other places in the country that you would recommend in November ? (I already went to Turkestan).

Thank you very much for your help and tips !
And who knows, hope to see some of you on the road.

Cheers
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Kazakhstan in November

Postby steven » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:48 am

1 Yoiu need to make friends with a local with a jeep. There is no public transport
2 Yes, museum is open year-round
3 Not really in my opinon
4 Bit of a difficult season - too early for the snow, too late for the nice weather. Autumn foliage is nice in places like Aksu Zhabagly and Ili-alatau NP.

On a small budget without your own transport, Kazakhstan is difficult anyway. Focus on the cities and find couchsurfers and see what kind of adventures they can invite you on.
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Gabacho

Re: Kazakhstan in November

Postby Gabacho » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks a lot man, your website is a goldmine !
1 x