Trip planning for end September 2020

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
JillStafford

Trip planning for end September 2020

Post by JillStafford »

Hello!

I'm planning to visit Central Asia later this year, probably arriving late(ish) September. We can be in the area as long as our Visas allow (we're US citizens) so time once we arrive is not the concern. The concern is weather and recommendations for where we can/should go and what we could do while there. We're super interested in foraging, textiles, hiking, architecture and staying with local families. I know I want to go to Uzbekistan and would love if we could still make something happen in Tajikistan and Kyrgystan during this time frame. If Tajik and Kyrg are possible, we would start there first and end in Uzbekistan.

Any suggestions you have are totally appreciated. I should note that we are thinking of arriving to Central Asia overland from Moscow too (though still considering flying to arrive sooner than later).

Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Best
Jill
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Re: Trip planning for end September 2020

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

Feels a bit open-ended, Jill, so it's hard to provide feedback. Don't really know how long a US citizen can stay in Central Asia, is it one month? or more? Also, do you want to travel fully overland or are you open to flights to hop from one part of the region to another?

If you're interested in architecture, then, the classic trio of Bukhara-Khiva-Samarkand are a must. But I wouldn't discount Almaty or Tashkent for a more modern twist.
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Late September is good for Uzbekistan weatherwise, but book in advance, it's the start of the high season. For your interest in textiles, you should definitely visit Margilan. Sadly the idea of day tours / workshops around things like handicrafts, cooking is still underdeveloped in the region. I don't know anyone doing it for single visitors in Uzbekistan yet - but let me know if you find out something, I haven't looked for a while, and things are changing quickly, so I could be out of date here.

Penelope from Uzbek Journeys knows everyone in Uzbekistan who does textiles - mine her blog: http://www.uzbekjourneys.com/search/lab ... es%2FCraft

For foraging - October is walnut season in Arslanbob and surrounds. Nuratau mountains (Sentyab and surrounds) is good for this stuff too, and you are staying with local families in both places, and you can do some good hiking. 7 lakes near Penjikent is good for this too. Get in touch with ZTDA - they are a bit chaotic but they do know everyone so could also organise a crafts workshop in Penjikent, besides homestays etc.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

JillStafford

Post by JillStafford »

Thanks Steven. Do you think we could still make it to Tajik and Kyrg at the end of September through October and then go to Uzbek in November? That's what I'd really like to do but am worried about mountain passes and the like. I suspect it will be quite chilly in places in Uzbekistan when we are there, but am ok with that.

Thanks so much for the information. I'll definitely check out the blog you recommend.

Best
Jill
0 x

JillStafford

Post by JillStafford »

Thanks AreWeThereYet. It is open ended (intentionally so). Perhaps my question wasn't worded well enough. What I am wanting to know is if arriving to Tajikistan and Kyrgystan for end of September/October is too late to be able to hike or cross some of the passes and then head to Uzbekistan after that (sometime end October into November). So, I'm really just looking to understand if this time frame for the countries I'd like to visit and some of the activities I'd like to do is possible. I've read mixed things about the weather but Sept/Oct/Nov seem to be iffy.
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Post by Christian77 »

The passes in the Fann mountains will be just fine in September, and good until the first real October snowfall (which is not always predictable, but maybe late October). Temperatures are no big deal here in September. As for the Pamirs, it will be very, very cold outside at altitude in September. As for Kyrgyzstan, you get cold and snow in September up high (and if the trail disappears you may be relying entirely on GPS). Not always, but its a risk. Safest thing is to not think about trekking through high passes in Kyrgyzstan or Pamirs after August. Fann mountains is a far safer bet (with Chimtarga pass being the only risky October trekking trip).
0 x