Solo female traveling the silk road Spring 2020 - travel buddies and feedbacks welcome

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Koo

Solo female traveling the silk road Spring 2020 - travel buddies and feedbacks welcome

Post by Koo »

Hi all,
I am a 29 French girl, traveling from Taiwan to France starting from Mid-March 2020 (is everything goes well with the virus..)

I would like to share here my itinerary, if you have advice or if you are in these places at the same time, don't hesitate to reach me!

I speak fluent French, English and quite good Chinese (I can make myself useful in some places).

Mid-March to 25th~ : Taiwan to Xi'an
End of March - Beginning of April : Gansu + Qinghai
Mid-April : Xinjiang (would 10 days be too much regarding the current situation?)
Last 2 weeks of April : Kighizistan
Beginning of May : Tadjikistan (10 days~)
Mid May : Uzbekistan (2 weeks)
End of May : Turkmenistan (4 days)
Beginning of June : Iran (20days)
Mid June : Georgia/Armenia
End of June + July : Turkey

Europe end of July.

Looking forward your tips and messages!
0 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Solo female traveling the silk road Spring 2020 - travel buddies and feedbacks welcome

Post by Christian77 »

For that 10-day Tajikistan itinerary you will have to have perfect timing for getting on the Pamir Highway (if you are including that in your itinerary). Arranging travel partners (to share the high cost of the Pamir Highway) ahead of time to meet in Osh is something that you should start on now if you want to leave on an exact date. This is not high season, so it's not as easy as finding travel partners in July-September (even then I was delayed by 3-5 days). 10 days is about what you should aim for from Osh to Dushanbe.

Also, get your Tajik evisa (plus GBAO permit) now if you don't already have it. I got mine just now in three working days, but there is an election coming up in Tajikistan and big events seem to delay tourist visa processing.
1 x

Koo

Re: Solo female traveling the silk road Spring 2020 - travel buddies and feedbacks welcome

Post by Koo »

Thank you Chritian for your reply, yes indeed I plan to travel the Pamir highway AND find people to do it with. I'll consider extending my stay in Tajikistan then. Thanks a lot
0 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

Hey - I am planning to do same trip Solo starting mid July. Are China and Turkmenistan borders open?
0 x

interrailer

Post by interrailer »

Rums wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:28 am
Hey - I am planning to do same trip Solo starting mid July. Are China and Turkmenistan borders open?
No, they are not. China you can enter only for business (AFAIK) and even then you have to stay 3 weeks in quarantine...
Turkmenistan was already before corona difficult with visas and now it is completely closed and probably won't open up soon. In July for sure won't be open and China will also stay very likely closed for this year. They don't need foreign tourists.
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

Christian77 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:23 pm
... (to share the high cost of the Pamir Highway) ..
Hi Christian,

I was not aware of the high cost related to the Pamir Highway, do you have a link with more info ?
Just followed the regular videos of an Australian couple (The Way Overland) who did it and I don't remember they mentioned high costs.

thanks

Hugues
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Well, it's all relative.

Costs are relatively high along the Pamir Highway because there is no regular semi-organized travel through there. No Marshrutkas, just the odd, infrequent share taxis. And since most tourists want to stop and visit places along the highway instead of just doing a straight Osh-Murghab, Murghab-Khorog, and Khorog-Dushanbe rides, most tourists end up booking a private car and driver for the Pamir Highway. Obviously it's cheaper if you can find others to share the costs with.
0 x

Hugues

Post by Hugues »

bwv812 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:36 am
Well, it's all relative.

Costs are relatively high along the Pamir Highway because there is no regular semi-organized travel through there. No Marshrutkas, just the odd, infrequent share taxis. And since most tourists want to stop and visit places along the highway instead of just doing a straight Osh-Murghab, Murghab-Khorog, and Khorog-Dushanbe rides, most tourists end up booking a private car and driver for the Pamir Highway. Obviously it's cheaper if you can find others to share the costs with.
ok thanks, if i go i will drive my own car, so then i understand in this case the costs are not so high, relatively to other regions

thanks
0 x

Rums

Post by Rums »

Sent private messages.
0 x