Female solo driver in Iran with guide?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
catharmaiden

Female solo driver in Iran with guide?

Post by catharmaiden »

I'm planning to drive from Western Europe through Turkey, Georgia and Armenia to Iran and back via Van Lake. I love driving and have made trips to all of Southern and Eastern Europe, Russia, Turkey (west of Kayseri) and Georgia. Usually I travel with a friend or make friends with locals and spontaneously ask them to come along as guide. Now none of my friends is up for this trip, and I don't think it's a good idea to just hook up with a guy in Iran. I don't mind to bend the rules at home, but I won't do that in a country where I'm only a guest.
So I have 3 questions:
- Is it possible to hire a guide who will let me organize everything and will just be there as a companion, helper and translator if I want? I really don't want a father figure telling me what to do. Can I hire a male guide as a solo woman. I'm around 50, in case that makes a difference. I've never hired a professional guide and I'm worried to be "herded" around. That's not my idea of a nice trip.
- Is traffic in Iran really as "crazy" as one reads? I always enjoy the chaos and muddling through in Albania and Georgia, though Ankara and St Peterburg were kinda of daunting on my own. I managed though. Is Iran really a whole different league?
- Bonus question: I'm twice vaccinated, but is there an "expiration date" on the vaccin, as far as immigration to these countries is concerned? As in, you need a booster after 6 month or a year? I've read through all the excellent threads on this great forum and all my questions, except these three, have been answered. I'm so happy to have found this forum after my beloved Thorn Tree shut down 2 years ago. Many grateful thanks to the founders and moderators of this site!
Sandra
0 x

netllama

Re: Female solo driver in Iran with guide?

Post by netllama »

You didn't state your nationality, which is very important when it comes to Iran.

That said, you can definitely hire a private guide in Iran who will can assist with the logistics of travelling around the country.

Traffic in Iran isn't that crazy (certainly not on India or Vietnam levels), but its definitely not the same as European standards. Tehran is a bit chaotic, but much of the rest of the rest of the country is better.

Vaccination requirements are literally changing day to day in many places. Most countries that care about boosters expect you to get it in 6-7 months after your second shot.

I'd suggest you sort out the guide situation first, and then the guide can assist with your other questions. I can recommend an excellent guide in Iran if you are interested.
1 x

Hound_Dog

Post by Hound_Dog »

Why not hire a female guide?
1 x

wouterjdv

Post by wouterjdv »

Hi Sandra,

In my experience traffic is not that chaotic in Iran compared to India for instance. If you have already managed Georgia for example you will be fine. Only Teheran can be intense at times, but you could avoid that by not driving during rush hours. Hiring a female guide would make many things a lot easier I think, considering all the islamic rules you'll have to obey. Maybe you can get a guide for the first week, and then after that, if you feel comfortable, go without. Most important advice: make as many friends in Iran as possible, it makes your trip fun, it's easier than you think, and everyone is always prepared to help.
Your plan sounds awesome by the way! Have fun.

Regards,
Wouter
1 x

Koen

Post by Koen »

Hi,
As asked before it depends on nationality if you need a guide, like UK citizen.
If you feel comfortable without a guide and i see you have experience you should be fine.
It's also possible to get guides in the major cities via the hostel / hotels you stay.
If needed I used an guide female in Iran when my parents came to visit, if needed can give you contact details.

I drove couple weeks all over Iran and traffic looks chaotic but not so bad as India.
1 x
Rollingdutchman @ instagram

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

Experience as a woman on her own can be quite different from men or couples. But if you have a guide with you it should be good.

I do think it is a good idea to check for a female guide. That might be more relaxed but also means you can get into the same stuff, whenever men and women need to be separated (mosques and so on)
1 x

catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Thank you so much for all the replies! Indeed, a female guide seems much more convenient than a male, so if a guide, then a woman. Another idea I had would be to make contacts on italki. I started to learn Persian a while ago (I didn't progress beyond some set phrases, numbers and basic verbs) and I also took 2-3 lessons on italki. The girls were really nice, so I might do that again. This would give me female acquaintances in the major cities in a less official, organised way. I have to think about this some more. It's not so much a question of money, but of independance.

I'm really looking forward to driving there, and you have convinced me ("traffic isn't as crazy as in India", "not much different from Georgia") that it is very doable, especially as I won't be going to Teheran. I'm from Luxembourg, so no ABC-problems.

So far, the plan for Iran is: enter through Armenia and head straight to Tabriz, stay there a day to get used to "being in Iran", then Takht-e-Solayman, Qom, Esfahan, Yazd, Pasargadae, Persepolis, Shiraz, Shushtar, Chogha Zanbil, Bisotun and exit to Turkey via Urmia. I guess this can be done in about 18-20 days.

Again, many thanks you all of you for taking the time to answer to my questions. I'm so looking forward to being on the road again after being grounded for two years.
0 x

catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Hound_Dog wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 pm
Why not hire a female guide?
You are right, it's the logical conclusion LOL
0 x

catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

wouterjdv wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:25 pm
Your plan sounds awesome by the way! Have fun.
Regards,
Wouter
Thank you, I'm sure I will. :)
0 x