Tashkent, Samarkand, Dushanbe, Khujand, Tashkent - Any recent experience Dushanbe to Tashkent?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Kekly

Tashkent, Samarkand, Dushanbe, Khujand, Tashkent - Any recent experience Dushanbe to Tashkent?

Post by Kekly »

Hi,

I have a week to spare in early October and want to see some of Uzbekistan that I haven't seen and visit Tajikistan.
My rough plan is
Saturday - Arrive Tashkent, catch overnight train to Bukhara (no fast tickets left!)
Sunday - Explore Bukhara
Monday - Fast train to Samarkand, explore Samarkand
Tuesday - Samarkand to Dushanbe overnight train
Wednesday - Explore Dushanbe
Thursday - Explore Dushanbe
Friday - Bus or Taxi to Khujand
Saturday - Explore Khujand
Sunday - Expore Khujand
Monday - 8am bus Khujand to Tashkent then taxi's from Tashkent to Shymkent (if I have time)

My questions / concerns are:
Dushanbe to Khujand
Is there a bus that anyone knows of? I found some reference to an Asian Express bus on the Rome to Rio site but no details anywhere else. Any experience on how to do this as a single female traveller?

Khujand to Dushanbe
I found lots of forum reports and other websites discussing Tashkent to Dushanbe but none about Dushanbe to to Tashkent. Has anyone done this recently? Can anyone confirm the bus does leave at 8am.

Tajikistan border crossings and PCR tests
Australian government smarttraveller website says Tajikistan land borders are closed to foreigners and I need a PCR test. From what I've read in the forum here this is not the case. Can anyone confirm?

Any thing I must see in Tajikistan while I'm there?
I'm a solo traveller and not a young fit hiker. What are the must see things around Dushanbe and Khujand that I should see and if they are out of town any recommended tours to get me there? Also open to accommodation options.
0 x

willemspie

Re: Tashkent, Samarkand, Dushanbe, Khujand, Tashkent - Any recent experience Dushanbe to Tashkent?

Post by willemspie »

Dushanbe to Khujand: shared taxis, from the cement factory
Samarkand to Dushanbe: you can also cross the border to Penjikent and visit the Fann mountains, there are homestays ... except you don't really have time.
0 x

Ian Sp

Re: Tashkent, Samarkand, Dushanbe, Khujand, Tashkent - Any recent experience Dushanbe to Tashkent?

Post by Ian Sp »

thanks bwv812 for the detailed notes. Re the Asian express bus. I have been trying to find a website. do you know it. I am planning to take the bus from Turkestan to Tashkent. Also I plan to cross the borders several times. I get a free visa. I unsuccessfully tried to apply for a multi entry visa with no luck so hoping to use the free single ones a few weeks apart. Did you have any issues crossing into UZb and Krgy several times? I'll have a look your detailed blog of your trip. I rate Iran as one of the friendliest countries i have ever been too, but concede they do have a few issues at the top. Ian
0 x

Kekly

Post by Kekly »

Thanks so much bwv812. I saw that post a few weeks ago and then couldn't find it again. Thanks for the link.
Thanks willemspie.
Ian - I'm hoping the same thing with visa free periods and multiple entries. I was in UZ last month and on this trip will cross into UZ two more times. I'm hoping there are no issues with this but from what I've read no one has mentioned any problems.
KZ has a clear limit of a maximum of 90 days in a 6 month period. But the other countries don't clearly state anything like this.
0 x

Ian Sp

Post by Ian Sp »

Thanks Kekly
let me know how you go with the multiple UZ crossings
UZ/Kaz/Krg/Taj looks like it will be a great experience
Ian
0 x

RollingTreeHouse

Post by RollingTreeHouse »

Kekly wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:59 am
I was in UZ last month and on this trip will cross into UZ two more times. I'm hoping there are no issues with this but from what I've read no one has mentioned any problems.
I have stayed and transited through Uzbekistan multiple times this year without problems.

Since at the moment you cannot cross the Kyrgyzstan-Tajikistan border as a tourist you won't be the first foreigner who enters and exits Uzbekistan multiple times in one trip to move between KG-TJ.
0 x