One week too much?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
jetsetwilly

One week too much?

Post by jetsetwilly »

I have just over a week in July to tick off a few of the stans with my 12 year old son.

The plan thus far...

Sunday Morning Arrive Almaty from London (Night Almaty)

Monday Bus to Bishkek (Night Bishkek)

Tuesday Trip to Ala Archa Park (Night Bishkek)

Weds - Bus to Almaty or Shu (Question 1: Are there shared taxis to here or do I need to backtrack to Almaty?) - Overnight train to Shymkent

Thu - Shymkent to Tashkent

Fri - Day trip to Samarkand

Sat back to Tashkent - Fly to Almaty

Sunday/Monday - Fly back to London

Questions:

1. Can I get a shared taxi from Bishkek to Shu instead of having to back track to Almaty so I can pick up the train to Shymkent from Shu?

2. Is there any realistic way of spending a day in Panjakent? I mean I know I can get here, but I would only go if I could get a hike in to the mountains. I need to get back to Tashkent to fly back to Almaty

Does all this sound rushed but realistic?
0 x

sebhoff

Re: One week too much?

Post by sebhoff »

Well - physically perhaps doable (although I haven't checked in detail), but why would you want to do this to yourself (and your 12-year old)?!!

What is the purpose of your trip? Collecting countries? Or actually experiencing the places you are visiting, taking in some of the major sights, and enjoying yourself? Then I would personally add two weeks or so to make it worthwhile. Also, a lot of things take time in Central Asia - like crossing borders, for example - and it's also a good idea to have some leeway built into your schedule for something to not work out as expected.

Almaty, Bishkek and Tashkent are all interesting cities that are worth exploring for at least two full days (if not more). If you add Shymkent and Samarkand (the latter being massively more attractive for most visitors, although Shymkent is also worth a visit!), you'll spend almost half of your week travelling in between places that you then won't have time to explore properly. And even if you somehow manage that, you haven't even started looking at anything in the vicinity of these major cities...

So my suggestion would be: Think about what you'd like to get out of your trip. What is most interesting for yourself and your son? Then find out which country offers most in this respect - and don't even start looking at other places/countries.

If you absolutely must include two countries, I suggest looking at an open-jaw flight - e.g. flying into Bishkek and out of Tashkent. At least then you are not wasting your time flying back to somewhere you've already been.

Sebastian
3 x

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thanks.

However I would rather jump from place to place than spend days in one place as I get easily bored.

I can't get to Tashkent without passing through Shymkent (no real desire to go other than because I have to).

I think trying to squeeze Tajikistan in is probably silly in hindsight.

Seems silly not to check out Samarkand if I am in Tashkent, but need to be in Tashkent to fly back to Almaty
0 x

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Well, then enjoy! ;-)
Perhaps you could report back once your week in Central Asia is over?
Sebastian
1 x

Kasia

Post by Kasia »

This itinerary is way too cramped and rushed, and given the conditions of the roads and trains it will be a very tiring and even painful way to see as much as possible. So I second what Sebastian said.

My suggestion is to concentrate either on Uzbekistan (Tashkent, Samarkand, Bukhara or a stint to Penjakent) or to stay half of the time in Kazakhstan (Almaty + mountains, lakes Kolsai + Kaindy, Charyn Canyon) and some days in and around Bishkek.

You asked especially about Penjakent:
In my opinion it only makes sense if you have time for a hike, as you said yourself. So you could do this as a side trip from Samarkand, as part of a week with focus on Uzbekistan. But consider to stay in Penjakent or better in the mountains (e.g. Artuch Camp or Seven Lakes) for at least one night.

Safe travels!
Kasia
0 x

Rufio

Post by Rufio »

I wouldn't bother going with your itinerary. I would choose one city and stay there, mayne two at a push. That is my honest opinion, if rude I apologize.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Bus stations, airports, and train stations are pretty boring, as are the rides themselves... and you'll basically be spending half your time doing these things.

If you were a solo traveler it would be somewhat defensible to chose an itinerary like this based on personal preferences, but I can't imagine this would be at all a fun or pleasant experience for a 12-year old.
0 x

jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thanks for all of your input.

I've booked the flights now, flying into Almaty and back from Shymkent.

I'm going to stick with the day in Almaty and 2 in Bishkek/National Park.

My lad wants to do an overnight train, hence the trip to Shymkent.

Depending on how this all goes, I'm still inclined to get to Samarkand (which means I have to go to Tashkent).

I've done lots of trips before (up to 85 counties now) so I'm well aware of the boredom of sitting on minibuses for hours on end, but this trip will only involve 4 bus journeys (Almaty to Bishkek and back) and Shymkent to Tahskent and back, so I can cope with that.
0 x

Ian Sp

Post by Ian Sp »

By taking the advice provided it sounds like you will partially avoid being the Griswolds from National Lampoon's European Vacation, ("It's Tuesday, so this must be Rome". :)

I've received and appreciated a lot of valuable advice for my upcoming 7 week trip in those areas. A lot advice has come from those who have taken time to give you feedback.

Bear in my trip is still coming up, but nonetheless (consider taking the Almaty train to Turkestan rather than Shymkent, and perhaps flying onto Samarkand to avoid the land border crossings, and then take the high speed train back to Tashkent). Also make sure you have a 1st class train cabin from Almaty to ensure you have A/C (July with no A/C does not sound like fun).

I'll let other more qualified people with more ON-GROUND experience comment further on Turkestan v's Shymkent, and Samarkand/Bukhara v's Bishkek and what will leave a lasting impression on a 12 year old. As I said my trip is coming up but I have brought it forward 3 weeks earlier to start in April to avoid some of the hotter times, and extended my trip by 2 weeks as it was going to be a bit rushed.
0 x

Ian Sp

Post by Ian Sp »

also this site is a great resource for information. The latest Lonely Planet edition (2018) is now almost irrelevant, and arguably irrelevant from the date it was published.
0 x