7 days in Tajikistan - what's possible?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
wtcrit

7 days in Tajikistan - what's possible?

Post by wtcrit »

I have 9 days between flights in Almaty this summer (early July) and am looking to do some travelling. Ideally I'd like to go to Tajikistan and visit the Pamirs, especially the Wakhan, but after flights to and from Dushanbe I'd have only 7 days (4th - 11th July) in which to do this. I realise this is cramped by anyone's standards, but is it at all plausible? Is it ridiculous to expect to get from Dushanbe to the Wakhan in two days, and back again in a similar time? I'm a modestly-off student so hiring private transport for the whole week is not really an option.

Sub-query, I realise that Ramadan in general is not problematic, but is Eid likely to complicate things? Will it be harder to find accommodation / transport? More difficult to get a space on the Khorog flight?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: 7 days in Tajikistan - what's possible?

Post by bwv812 »

If you have fixed travel dates you cannot count on the Khorog-Dushanbe flight, either in terms of being able to secure a ticket or the flight actually flying. However, in 7 days it is possible to go from Dushanbe to Osh overland (cheap flights from Osh to Bishkek make it easy to go from Osh to Almaty in a day). It is possible to take shared transportation from Khorog to Murghab and Murghab to Osh (this leg is less frequent), as well as go to the Wakhan Valley. Doing this all in 7 days will be challenging, but may be possible (especially if you meet like-minded travelers in Khorog or through PECTA with whom you can share a vehicle charter).
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

wtcrit

Post by wtcrit »

Thanks for that. So it would be possible to finish in Osh, fly to Bishkek, then fly or overland to Almaty the same day? That option hadn't occurred to me, but it could potentially make things easier.

So one idea is to leave open both options (return to Dushanbe, or onwards to Osh) until I am in Khorog and have a better idea of the situation on the ground, which would obviously give me more flexibility, especially in terms of finding co-travellers. Is there much risk to this? Especially regarding not deciding on flights until 3/4 days in advance - the impression I have is that flights in the region (except Dushanbe-Khorog) are rarely sold out in advance, but I'm not sure if this is accurate?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Well, people typically arrive in Osh at night. Take the flight to Bishkek the next morning and transit to Almaty. I would probably book that flight in advance, since it's only like $25—not sure I would want to be trying to buy tickets in Khorog. Even if you have to spend more to go Khorog-Osh on time (buy empty seats in a jeep or whatever), that's going to be cheaper than the flight or long jeep back to Dushanbe + the flight from Dushanbe to Almaty.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com