Travel to Khiva

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Sahar

Travel to Khiva

Postby Sahar » Mon May 30, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi all,

My partner and I are deciding whether to go to Khiva or not. Our itinerary right now is to go by train in the following order (with a few days stop in each): Tashkent-->Samarqand-->Bukhara. My questions are:

1) Is there no train travel at al between Bukhara and Urgench? Is the only option from Samarqand?
2) And if we did go by train to Urgench, do we need transit visas for Turkmenistan since it looks like it crosses the border? I have a US passport but my partner is traveling on a South African passport.
3) Are we better off hiring a taxi from Bukhara to Urgench, and if so, about how much might that cost? And I've seen conflicting time frames: 5 hours to 8 hours.
4) Even though we want to do it all overland, we are now also considering going straight from Tashkent by flight to Urgench and then taxi to Khiva; then private taxi back to Bukhara and rail to Samarqand and back to Tashkent.

Any tips/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Sahar
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Travel to Khiva

Postby bwv812 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:35 am

I posted my recommendation here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1679

Turkmen transit visa not required for train to Urgench.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

molly23

Re: Travel to Khiva

Postby molly23 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am

Hello,
I am from Khiva there is no immediate association with anyplace. You should go to Urgench, where you will discover both trains (4-5 every week) and transports to Bukhara. Be that as it may, the best choice is to utilize a common taxi, in light of the fact that the trip is long and awkward. The aggregate passage ought to be around 45.000 sons.

From Bukhara, a day by day prepare named "Sharq" goes to Samarkand and Tashkent (and vice-versa). Be careful that the old train station in Bukhara is not working anymore: the train leaves from a town named Kagan, around 15 km east of Bukhara. From the old train station you will discover some marshrutkas going there (I don't recollect the numbers). I took this train from Samarkand to Bukhara and I paid 12.000 sons for a second class seat. You should communicate in Russian to purchase a train ticket, on the grounds that at the station stands they talk no English by any means.
I hope it will help you.
0 x