Turkmenistan overland + Buses in Turkmenistan

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Zhivko

Turkmenistan overland + Buses in Turkmenistan

Post by Zhivko »

Hi all,

I am a Bulgarian passport holder planning on travelling from Georgia to Kazakhstan overland.
My itinerary includes an overland trip through Turkmenistan: Turkmenbashi - Ashgabat - Mary - Turkmenabat. I am planning on travelling on a transit visa by buses/trains.
I was wondeeing if anyone has done this route recently as I only found topics about people going from Turkmenbashi - Dashoguz and Iran - Turkmenabat? Is it even possible to get a transit visa for this route?
Also, does anyone know hows the current situation with the buses in Turkmenistan? Do you just book tickets on the day or do you have to do it in advance?

Thanks,
Zhivko
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Re: Turkmenistan overland + Buses in Turkmenistan

Post by Crazydre »

Be warned Zhivko: Turkmen embassies are randomly refusing a LOT of Transit visas These days. Apply for a Transit visa right now (if you already have the Azeri and Uzbek visas) at the embassy in London, and if you're refused, go for a Tourist visa (with the LOI ióbtained from this Website) or take the direct Azerbaijan-Kazakhstan ferry
0 x

Zhivko

Post by Zhivko »

Thanks for the response!
I will have my Azeri and Uzbek visas in 2 weeks. I know they are refusing quite a lot people but I still want to try. If I get refused, I will change my route.
Do you have any information if anybody has done Turkmenbashi - Ashgabat - Turkmenabat recently?
0 x

Crazydre
Visa expert
Visa expert

Post by Crazydre »

Don't know I'm afraid. However it "feels" like a sensible route, so if the Türkmens refuse you, it won't be because of the routing
0 x

dinozzaver

Post by dinozzaver »

Mine in opposite way was refused (konye urgench - turkmenabashi) and they were really clear at the embassy "why don't you take ferry from Kazakhstan?". I also need visa for Kazakhstan. You have better chances applying from /to Iran route.
1 x