Money in central asia - ATM?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
leaveyanalone

Money in central asia - ATM?

Post by leaveyanalone »

Hi there,
My name is Yan and I am from HK and I am going to spend a month in the silk road and wondering what kind of money i should prepare. All Cash? Draw from ATM with Union Pay ((i will say yeah to that!) ? Or any special forms?
The travel period of my vacation is going to be Mid-May to Mid-June, travelling Kazakhstan,Uzbekistan, possibly Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Iran, in this order. do you think the order of my itinerary will be any different in terms of weather and smoothness of the border transfer?
For the transportations between those countries, can you suggest a way for me to cross the border? or its always simply take share taxi and then drive me to the closest port then give my passport to the immigration officer? i can't find any flight information online.
cheers
Yan :idea:
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Money in central asia - ATM?

Post by steven »

Hi Yan,

For Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, you can take out money by credit card from atm. For Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Iran, prepare everything in cash. Take US dollars. For Turkmenistan, 100$ bills need to be printed after 2013, they are a more blue colour.

You can find all info at http://caravanistan.com/money

For different borders there are different ways to cross. Find all info per border specifically at http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

For flights: which flight are you looking for?

I think the timing of your itinerary is good, weather-wise.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

galax

Post by galax »

Hi Yan

I am going to travel in same period for similar countries as you, have sent you private message.

Ps I am also from Hong Kong :)

Cheers
Galax
0 x

leaveyanalone

Post by leaveyanalone »

Hi Steven,
thank you for your info, the credit card you mentioned....can it be a Union Pay debit card? Also, a few follow up questions please.
I would like to apply the transit visa of Turkmenistan in Tashkent, in their embassy. I heard from STANtours that it takes 10-14 days, i also read online that it takes 5 days. Which one is more close to the truth?
Since this is a big trip for me, targeting over 20 countries, do you think Kindle is easy to read when it comes to travel books like LP?
how is the internet situation there in the Stans? I am not a geek but i would like to access internet from time to time to manage my travel plans and book flights.
thanks a lot for your info!
Yan
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

1. I have never heard of such a card. In Europe we have Maestro and Bancontact. I don't know.
2. Depends on the mood of the ambassador. It changes every week so there is no way of saying who is right this week.
3. It is a bit difficult with maps and such, but it is doable.
4. Internet is widely available, see http://caravanistan.com/phone-internet/
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

0 x

Mati14

Post by Mati14 »

Do any of you know if there is any ATM in Osh in Kyrgyzstan that dispense US dollars? How about Kashgar In China? Tanks!
0 x

lissie45

Post by lissie45 »

Mati14 wrote:Do any of you know if there is any ATM in Osh in Kyrgyzstan that dispense US dollars? How about Kashgar In China? Tanks!

I don't think any ATM in China will dispense anything but Yuan
0 x
My pretty random blog: http://LisTravelTips.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Mati14 wrote:Do any of you know if there is any ATM in Osh in Kyrgyzstan that dispense US dollars?
You can probably find one.
0 x

SoCalguy

Post by SoCalguy »

I highly doubt any atm would dispense any currency other than the local currency. I traveled throughout india/thailand/singapore for 3 months and at no point was I able to withdraw USD.
0 x