I'm from Poland and I will be going to Kazakhstan on May 27 (flying from Warsaw to Astana and then immediately to Almaty) and coming back on June 4th .
I will be going there alone and I wonder how to best plan my trip so I would be really grateful if someone could help me with this.
What I would like to see most (in the priority order but not necessary all of them - maybe even 1 or 2) are:
- Charyn Canyon
Altyn Emel national park
Ile-Alatau National Park
any other place with great nature / landscapes where I could trek with my tent
Here are the options I consider (in the most preferable order):
1) Renting a car in Almaty and drive myself with a tent (or in the guesthouses / hotels)
- any car rental company you could recommend ?
any issue I can encounter and any hints for self-drive ?
is it possible to drive the road with normal 2WD car for the places I listed above ?
any special risks with a police (especially if I don't speak Russian at all) ?
any issue to have a night in a tent in the above locations (or close to them) ?
any other hints / recommendations / issues for this option ?
2) Hire professionals in Almaty who can help me with to realize my plans
- I'm not a fan of traveling with guides or groups (it's not about the cost but a style of travelling I prefer with as much freedom as I can) but maybe there is a company / a person (communicating in English) offering a service to drive me to the desired location, leave me there and then take me back ?
I could strongly consider this option but again - I would need someone with English and someone who will not be my permanent guide all the time with me but rather helping me to realize my plans to visit and explore some places alone (of course with the advises how to do that)
3) Go to Charyn Canyon and/or Kolsai lakes with public transport and with my tent (or in the guesthouses / hotels)
- is it possible at all (I found some information about buses from Almaty close to Kolsai Lakes and bus I could use to get out close to the Charyn Canyon) ?
Any bus schedule I could find somewhere ?
any hints / recommendations / issues for this option ?
4) Any other option someone could recommend to me ?
I know it's a lot I ask but I find this travel a little bit challenging comparing to all my previous travels where finding something on internet and then using English language in such places was not a big issue
Anyway - tickets already bought, I'm rather a person that never gives up so whatever option I will take and whatever I will learn before this trip Im pretty sure I will success with this trip anyway
Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me!