Kyrgyzstan itinerary mid July for 10+ days

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
aur_rashed

Kyrgyzstan itinerary mid July for 10+ days

Postby aur_rashed » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 am

Hello all,

This will be my first time in Kyrgyzstan, I am planning to be there on 10th of July and I have a rough itinerary that I'd like to confirm possible.
I am more into natural scenery than big cities, so I will only spend 1 day in Bishkek and then spend around 10 days -give or take- hiking and trekking.

***Updated plan***
My plan is with the following order:

- 10/7 arrival at Bishkek
- 11/7 Bishkek to Karakol ( ~6 hours, spend the night there)
- 12,13,14 Altyn-Arashan trek ( last day is 3 hours trek, should be back in Karakol by ~1 pm)
* possible 1 day buffer here
- 14 Karakol to Kochkor (this one is tricky and not really sure that it's doable within that time frame, since there is no direct transportation, but planning to take taxi, hopefully)
* possible 1 day buffer here *
- 15,16,17 Song kol horse trek ends in Kyzart, spend night in Kyzart
- 18 kyzart to Suusamyr
- 19, 20 rest in Sussamyr and enjoy the scenery
- 21 Sussamyr to Kol-suu lake and camping there
- 22 Kol-suu to Osh
Then start Pamir trip from Osh.

First of all, is this the correct order? I don't want to spend a lot of time commuting.
Also, is this itinerary doable, or it's too much for that amount of time?
Lastly, I am open to other ideas and destinations, if you think there's a room for improvement (go to X instead of Y, etc..) this will be
highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rashed
Last edited by aur_rashed on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Kyrgyzstan itinerary mid July for 10+ days

Postby bwv812 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 am

You haven't taken travel time into account. For example, there's no fast, direct, and easy way between Song kol and Arslanbob: you either hire a private car and go direct, or you take shared transport and go via Bishkek. At best, it will take most of a full day to go between. IMO there's really nothing to see at Issyk kul itself, and given your time it's not worth stopping in Cholpon Ata or wherever you were thinking, so straight to Karakol makes more sense (half a day of travel from Bishkek). Organizing things on the fly also takes a bit of time, so you may not be able to jump into your trek from Karakol as fast as you would like unless you arrange something before you arrive.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

aur_rashed

Postby aur_rashed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 am

This is absolutely correct, I will refine my itinerary, include the travel time and post it here.
Good point also about Issyk-kul, I've dropped it.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
0 x

aur_rashed

Postby aur_rashed » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:03 pm

So I refined my itinerary, and increased the length of my stay in Kyrgyzstan to 14+ days.
Basically, these are the main spots I'd like to visit (ranked from must visit to nice to have), and it will have to end in Osh to start the Pamir trip, my main interest is in natural scenery (lakes and green meadows), hikes and simple treks that involve camping:
1- Suusamyr
2- Kol-suu lake
3- Karakol (Altyn Aracshan Trek)
4- Song kol (horse trek)

Here's my plan,

- 10/7 arrival at Bishkek
- 11/7 Bishkek to Karakol ( ~6 hours, spend the night there)
- 12,13,14 Altyn-Arashan trek ( last day is 3 hours trek, should be back in Karakol by ~1 pm)
* possible 1 day buffer here
- 14 Karakol to Kochkor (this one is tricky and not really sure that it's doable within that time frame, since there is no direct transportation, but planning to take taxi, hopefully)
* possible 1 day buffer here *
- 15,16,17 Song kol horse trek ends in Kyzart, spend night in Kyzart
- 18 kyzart to Suusamyr
- 19, 20 rest in Sussamyr and enjoy the scenery
- 21 Sussamyr to Kol-suu lake and camping there
- 22 Kol-suu to Osh

Given these buffer days I should be in Osh sometime between (22-25th) of July.
The itinerary above is trying to minimize loops as much as possible, and hopefully include nice scenery along the road, any advice to decrease amount
of time on the road, or will guarantee better scenery is highly appreciated!

Places I couldn't fit in the itinerary: Arslanbob, Kyzyl-Oi, also if you think that some places should be swapped or dropped in favor of other places that would be helpful.
0 x

zamou

Postby zamou » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:40 am

Hi,
Do you have an idea about the travelling time and how you gonna reach osh from kol-suu?
thanks
0 x