New Zealand to Europe via KZ/RU

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
ScuL

New Zealand to Europe via KZ/RU

Post by ScuL »

Hi guys

I am planning a pretty huge trip from New Zealand to Europe (Amsterdam) whilst trying to go overland rather than by air.
When it comes to my itinerary I have a pretty solid idea but I am a little bit hesitant about the crossing through KZ so I'm here for some advice.

I will catch a long distance train through China and make my way to Urumqi. From there I would like to go to Alma-Ata (Almaty), KZ.
Through Kazakhstan I would like to travel to Astana and then onwards to Russia so I can join the Trans-Siberian railway in Yekaterinburg.

Does anybody here have any experience with the connections between these places?
I have been told that Urumqi to Alma-Ata is fastest by bus (not train). Is it a safe option?
KZ railways seem straight forward but I would like to know if you can (and must) book tickets in advance or simply book at the station?
The connection from Astana into Russia is not quite clear for me either. Would it be best to travel to Omsk or is there a better way to connect to Yekaterinburg?

Due to time constraints I cannot deviate too much from this route, but if there are any beautiful sights of nature, national parks or other must-see places along this route please do let me know.

Thanks!
Martin
:mrgreen:
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: New Zealand to Europe via KZ/RU

Post by steven »

Hi Martin,

with the new AStana -Almaty - Urumqi relay train I would recommend the train over the bus. All info on our train page: https://caravanistan.com/transport/train/kazakhstan

Here you will also find info regarding how to buy tickets and a railway map that shows Yekaterinburg connects with Astana via Petropavlovsk.

Why would it not be safe?
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ScuL

Post by ScuL »

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your comment.

I would like to try this new train but
1) I read that tickets from Urumqi to Almaty cannot be purchased online?
2) Does this train still take 30 hours between both places?
3) Is it possible to book a trip Urumqi-Almaty-Astana and "break" the trip? By breaking I mean, getting off the train and spending 1 night in a hotel in Almaty to explore the city?

I suppose I will need to book a separate ticket from Astana to Petropavlosk and then to Yekaterinburg.

Regarding safety: I've read that there are many road checks near Urumqi because of recent unrest, so therefore I imagined the train to be safer than the bus.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

1. Yes. Need to book through tour opreator or once you are in Kazakhstan at station.
2. No, it's less, see the timetable here. 20h viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3625
3. No, book separate tickets Urumqi-Almaty and then Almaty-Astana

4. It is very, very very safe. Xinjiang is extremely repressive. All the security checks are of course very unpleasant, and you don't want to be an Uyghur obviously, but as a foreigner nothing can happen to you.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

ScuL

Post by ScuL »

Thank you for your kind help I should be able to manage this trip now :)
1 x

ScuL

Post by ScuL »

I have found on several different places that this new train service has now been cancelled without any further notice
1 x