Almaty - Charyn - Karakol cost

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
lukaso

Almaty - Charyn - Karakol cost

Post by lukaso »

Hi, we are group of five and we are planning to go from Almaty to Karakol, with a visit in Charyn Canyon in the end of July. Do you know much how it might cost to rent a driver for that road? I've seen tours for around 100 USD per person, but that seems to be a bit expensive for us. Any other options or how much we should offer for this trip? We got a guy who will ask local drivers or touroperators, but we are the ones to propose the price.
Thanks!
0 x

lukaso

Re: Almaty - Charyn - Karakol cost

Post by lukaso »

just update - we decided to take a day tour by Turism Kazakhstana to Charyn canyon for around 11€. (I recommend to visit Visit Almaty tourist office, they can book it). It was around 4 hours there and 4 hours back - the tour is in Russian, bus is a bit old and guide was talking all the time, so it's a bit exhausting...
Next day we took a direct bus from Almaty to Karakol, leaving at 9 evening. It takes 11 hours to get there... not the most pleasant journey, but it was cheap (11€ as well). It goes through the main border crossing near Bishkek, stopping in Cholpon-Ata.
2 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

lukaso wrote:just update - we decided to take a day tour by Turism Kazakhstana to Charyn canyon for around 11€. (I recommend to visit Visit Almaty tourist office, they can book it). It was around 4 hours there and 4 hours back - the tour is in Russian, bus is a bit old and guide was talking all the time, so it's a bit exhausting...
Next day we took a direct bus from Almaty to Karakol, leaving at 9 evening. It takes 11 hours to get there... not the most pleasant journey, but it was cheap (11€ as well). It goes through the main border crossing near Bishkek, stopping in Cholpon-Ata.
Hi
What date was your tour to the Canyon?
Was it weekend or during the week?

I ask because there are lots of weekend tours but hard to find anything for a group during the ween. Only individual guides to hire.

Thanks
0 x

lukaso

Post by lukaso »

Hi, unfortunately it was weekend, Sunday... I also couldn't find any weekday tour. If you are already in Almaty, I really recommend to visit tourist information Visit Almaty - guy there was very helpful. But if you are a bigger group, it might be worth to book a private tour (somebody offered us a tour for 150 USD, we were 5 people, so maybe next time I would consider this much more comfortable option...
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

Thanks for reply.
It's for other travellers who often ask about tours during the week.
Only private tours, right.
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

lukaso wrote:just update - we decided to take a day tour by Turism Kazakhstana to Charyn canyon for around 11€. (I recommend to visit Visit Almaty tourist office, they can book it). It was around 4 hours there and 4 hours back - the tour is in Russian, bus is a bit old and guide was talking all the time, so it's a bit exhausting...
Hi.
Could you please share info about that evening bus from Almaty to Karakol?
Where exactly in Almaty does it start from?

Some travellers are looking for it and can't find.

Thank you)
0 x

lukaso

Post by lukaso »

The bus starts from Sayran Bus Station, west part of the city. It's leaving at 9, but I am not sure if it's not just weekends. We took that bus on Sunday night.
I recommend to go to the bus station day or two before to buy tickets, you can't buy it online and during the summer season it might be booked out... but for any other info I recommend Visit Almaty office again, they told us about this bus.
2 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Post by Julia »

lukaso wrote:The bus starts from Sayran Bus Station, west part of the city. It's leaving at 9, but I am not sure if it's not just weekends. We took that bus on Sunday night.
I recommend to go to the bus station day or two before to buy tickets, you can't buy it online and during the summer season it might be booked out... but for any other info I recommend Visit Almaty office again, they told us about this bus.
Thank you.
Very useful!
0 x