Help with itinerary with starting point Dushanbe?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
kimura89

Help with itinerary with starting point Dushanbe?

Postby kimura89 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 am

Hi there, long term solo traveler from Australia currently in India for the next few weeks. After which point I want to spend my final 2 months in Central Asia for a new challenge.

I found a flight from Delhi to Dushanbe that's reasonably priced. However I'm a bit confused and overwhelmed with all the information out there and using the time effectively. Hoping for some guidance and direction if possible.

I'm used to kind of just going with the flow with things and not planning too far in advance. But it seems traversing the Stans requires a bit more organisation.

So few questions -

1. if I start with Tajikistan and do the Pamir Highway route (with a driver), after that's complete what would be a good jumping point from there?

2. Should I be organising all my visas and LOI's now? Or it's easy to organise as I'm on the road? (In terms of connecting to the internet reliably)

3. There's also a flight to Almaty I could potentially book. Is that a more reasonable starting point?
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Re: Help with itinerary with starting point Dushanbe?

Postby Julia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:21 am

Hi.
I think starting point depends on which of "stan" countries you want to visit. All or some particular?

And also depends on where you're going after - what country is preferably to finish the trip in.

Generally, starting from Dushanbe looks good.
You can see Tajikistan, then go on Pamir highway to Kyrgyzstan. Than see Kyrgyzstan and move to Kazakhstan (Bishkek-Almaty). Visit Kazakhstan. After Kazakhstan can go to Tashkent and visit Uzbekistan.
Do you plan to see Turkmenistan too? Part of Afghanistan? (I think you read about short tours from Tajikistan to Afghanistan border town)

Or you can start from Almaty. Then Kazakhstan will be the first country. Then go to Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
From Uzbekistan go to Tajikistan (start in Penjikent or Khudjand). And then to Kyrgyzstan through Pamir Highway.

I think there are other options too. These two options for travelling 4 countries look good to me.
I've travelled those 4 countries only this region though.
2 x

kimura89

Postby kimura89 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Julia wrote:Hi.
I think starting point depends on which of "stan" countries you want to visit. All or some particular?

And also depends on where you're going after - what country is preferably to finish the trip in.

Generally, starting from Dushanbe looks good.
You can see Tajikistan, then go on Pamir highway to Kyrgyzstan. Than see Kyrgyzstan and move to Kazakhstan (Bishkek-Almaty). Visit Kazakhstan. After Kazakhstan can go to Tashkent and visit Uzbekistan.
Do you plan to see Turkmenistan too? Part of Afghanistan? (I think you read about short tours from Tajikistan to Afghanistan border town)

Or you can start from Almaty. Then Kazakhstan will be the first country. Then go to Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
From Uzbekistan go to Tajikistan (start in Penjikent or Khudjand). And then to Kyrgyzstan through Pamir Highway.

I think there are other options too. These two options for travelling 4 countries look good to me.
I've travelled those 4 countries only this region though.

Thanks this is really helpful.

I have no expectations coming in, I'm of the mind that whatever I get to see I'll see. I have just under 2 months, what would you think is possible in that timeframe if without going at a super fast pace?

Also any advice on the visas, in terms of organising beforehand. Or I should be ok to do it as I go?
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby Julia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:48 pm

In my opinion 2 months are enough for those 4 countries to travel without hurry.
I don't know how slow pace you prefer))
But if you like to be very slow than you can visit 3 countries. As I understood you're flexible and don't mind missing some spots.

As for visas. If you have Australian passport than you have visa free 30 days for Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

And both Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have on-line visa systems, I believe?
Better if you check that on forum topics about visas.
0 x

kimura89

Postby kimura89 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:46 am

Julia wrote:In my opinion 2 months are enough for those 4 countries to travel without hurry.
I don't know how slow pace you prefer))
But if you like to be very slow than you can visit 3 countries. As I understood you're flexible and don't mind missing some spots.

As for visas. If you have Australian passport than you have visa free 30 days for Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.

And both Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have on-line visa systems, I believe?
Better if you check that on forum topics about visas.

Thanks :) I booked my ticket to Dushanbe last night , exciting!

I've been travelling predominantly in SE Asia so I have minimal cold weather gear. Is it worth buying some extra cold weather stuff in India before I head to the Stans?
0 x

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert

Postby Julia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 am

It's a huge region so the weather conditions are different in different parts of the region.
Astana (the capital of Kazakhstan) is one of the coldest cities on the planet. And it's very windy. I got really cold there in my light jacket, no hat, no gloves at the end of October last year. While at the same time in Shymkent (South of Kazakhstan) it was warm enough and didn't need any extra warm clothes during the day.

There are also high mountains there. Higher you get colder it gets.
In September in Almaty and Dushanbe it's warm around 20 C. But if you plan to go to the mountains prepare warm clothes. Jacket, hat, gloves, wind stopper for above 2000 m.
If plan to camp over night in the mountains or go hiking for some period of time higher than 3000 m than winter clothers are necessary.

Generally, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are warmer than Kazakhstan. South of Kazakhstan is warmer then Central and North parts.

Approximate minimum temparetures (night) for
Dushanbe and Tashkent: 13 C (September), 8 C (October). During the sunny day around 20 C
Almaty: 11 С (September), 5 C (October). During the sunny day around 18-9 C
Astana: 6 С (September), 0 C (October). Daytime - 12-5 C

If you're going to travel in October and November than prepare warm jacket or coat, a hat, gloves. Medium warm clothes for South of the region. And winter style for end of October for Astana region.

Also it rains often in Kazakhstan during the fall. Don't know about other countries.
0 x