4 stans in 1 month?

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
povertyjetset

Re: Travel plan for ~one month

Post by povertyjetset »

1. Last July, I bought an Almaty-Shymkent platzkart ticket the day before I left. Train was pretty packed. Obviously not same route but I think you'd have no trouble a couple days in advance.

2. Share taxis from Dushanbe to Ayni/Fan Mts left from the cement factory ('tsement zavod') a ways out of town. I think Khojand is the same. Enjoy the Anzob Tunnel of Death.

4. Like others have said, there is not much to the cities in C.A. although I really liked Almaty, mostly because of the setting at the base of the mts and the fact that it did not appear to be falling apart as much as other places. Bishkek is worth 1 day max. even if you need to get visas because for Tajikistan you can get the visa on the spot (express service) or pay less for normal service (~1 week) but don't have to leave your passport while they process the app. Same for UZ visa - make the appt., show up next day with the app., drop everything off except actual passport and pay, come back when they tell you to have them put the visa in your passport. Spend more time around the lake and Karakol.
0 x

Supaplex

Post by Supaplex »

Okay my plans just changed: I will fly to Almaty on 15.8. There I probably visit Big Almaty Lake or Charyn Canyon. On 19.8 I'll fly to Dushanbe (good for on arrival visa!). My flight back to home is on 3.9 from Bishkek.

I was thinking about going to Pamirs after I get my GBAO permit in Dushanbe. Have any of you done Pamirs in one week? I would like to spend some time in Kyrgyzstan too before leaving home. In Pamirs I would love to see Lake Karakul; what is the easiest way to visit the lake, quick visit when going from Murghab to Osh? How about the Afghan market, is it easy to get a ride from Ishkashim back to Khorog on same day?

What would you do if you have about 5-7 days in Kyrgyzstan?
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

Supaplex wrote:Okay my plans just changed: I will fly to Almaty on 15.8. There I probably visit Big Almaty Lake or Charyn Canyon. On 19.8 I'll fly to Dushanbe (good for on arrival visa!). My flight back to home is on 3.9 from Bishkek.

I was thinking about going to Pamirs after I get my GBAO permit in Dushanbe. Have any of you done Pamirs in one week? I would like to spend some time in Kyrgyzstan too before leaving home. In Pamirs I would love to see Lake Karakul; what is the easiest way to visit the lake, quick visit when going from Murghab to Osh? How about the Afghan market, is it easy to get a ride from Ishkashim back to Khorog on same day?

What would you do if you have about 5-7 days in Kyrgyzstan?
You have about 14 days to go from Dushanbe to Bishkek, which is going to be tight, especially since you have to get your GBAO permit in Dushanbe. Ishkashim market is only on Saturdays, which is the 22nd. Maybe you can do it if you manage to catch the flight or start your jeep ride on the morning of the 21st.

Due to visa issues I had to compress my Pamir trip into about a week, which broke down to:
- flying into Khorog and spending a night there
- heading to Langar the next day and spending two nights there
- one night in Yamg (about halfway between Langar and Ishkashim)
- one more night in Khorog, and
- two nights in Murghab before heading to Osh.
That's seven nights and eight days. Of those eight days, I spent at least half the day in a car on four of them (all of this was by public transport/share taxis) and flew on another.

So with one week I think you have the time to explore the Wakhan a little bit (and possibly catch the border market the next week), and this is probably a good use of your time. But if you do this, don't count on seeing much of Karakol, as few vehicles stop/start there, and you may have to wait a day or so for a ride back if you go there.

With only about 5 days between Osh and Bishkek, you don't have many options. Osh, a brief stop in Ozgen, and then Arslanbob would be the obvious route—going elsewhere would require passing through Bishkek (which takes a day from Osh) or spending lots to charter a private vehicle direct to Naryn or Kochkor.
0 x