Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
jonny_yuma
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm
x 12

Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Postby jonny_yuma » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi there,

I'm planning a self-guided 4x4 trip through parts of Central Asia with two friends in August/September 2019, and further to extensive research into itineraries, maps, time frames, and sights/activities, I want to share my draft itinerary with the community in case anyone has any feedback on it.

DAY 1: Arrive in Bishkek, KRG
DAY 2: Bishkek, KRG -->Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve, KAZ
DAY 3: Aksu-Zhabagly Nature Reserve, KAZ -->Tashkent, UZB
DAY 4: Tashkent, UZB
DAY 5: Tashkent, UZB -->Panjakent, TAJ (Fann Mountains) (via Samarkand)
DAY 6: Hiking in Haft-Kul / Seven Lakes (Fann Mountains, TAJ)
DAY 7: Fann Mountains, TAJ -->Dushanbe, TAJ
DAY 8: Dushanbe, TAJ
DAY 9: Dushanbe, TAJ -->Khali Khum, TAJ
DAY 10: Khali Khum, TAJ -->Rushan, TAJ (Jizeu, TAJ; Bartang Valley)
DAY 11: Rushan, TAJ (Jizeu, TAJ; Bartang Valley) -->Khorog, TAJ
DAY 12: Khorog, TAJ -->Langar, TAJ
DAY 13: Langar, TAJ -->Vrang, TAJ
DAY 14: Vrang, TAJ -->Murghab, TAJ
DAY 15: Murghab, TAJ --> Osh, KRG
DAY 16: Osh, KRG
DAY 17: Osh -->Batayaral (Song-Kul), KRG
DAY 18: Batayaral (Song-Kul), KRG -->Bishkek, KRG
DAY 19: Bishkek, KRG
DAY 20: Depart from Bishkek, KRG

Thanks!
Jon
IG:@jonny__yuma
0 x

Lovetheworld
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am
x 17
x 89

Re: Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Postby Lovetheworld » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 am

I think it is better to do the loop the other way. The lower parts in UZB and TAJ (dushanbe) are quite hot and even in September you could have snow on the way from Murghab to Osh.

Also going from Murghab to Osh in 1 day is possible but a long drive, while from Khorog to Langar is very easy in one day. Like half a day or less if you want to.
After Langar civilisation stops.

But when you rejoin the Pamir highway again it is pretty easy going.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert
Posts: 704
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:02 pm
x 3036
x 162

Re: Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Postby bwv812 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 am

In addition to the above, this only comes close to being realistic if you have hired a vehicle beforehand and are doing everything in that vehicle. Even so, you don't have much buffer time in case anything goes wrong.
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

Julia
Kazakhstan expert
Kazakhstan expert
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 pm
x 21
x 121

Re: Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Postby Julia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 am

Hi.
Nice plan.
I think Uzbek part is too short and Kazakh part is only one resort.
I'd go to Samarkand and Bukhara cities in Uzbekistan as well. Very very beautiful and interesting cities.
In your plan you seem quicky pass Samarkand.
Spend at least one day in each city.
I wouldn't miss this opportunity.

And Kazakhstan is so underrated country in CA. Seems like you skip it at all.
As you're traveling to the resort you can include other places in the South of Kazakhstan (the canyons, lakes, Altyn Emel park, Almaty city and is surroundings are very beautiful).
Easy to travel around there as you have a car.
1 x

jonny_yuma
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm
x 12

Re: Seeking feedback: Stans' itinerary review

Postby jonny_yuma » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Lovetheworld wrote:I think it is better to do the loop the other way. The lower parts in UZB and TAJ (dushanbe) are quite hot and even in September you could have snow on the way from Murghab to Osh.

Also going from Murghab to Osh in 1 day is possible but a long drive, while from Khorog to Langar is very easy in one day. Like half a day or less if you want to.
After Langar civilisation stops.

But when you rejoin the Pamir highway again it is pretty easy going.


- Thanks so much @lovetheworld. We originally planned to travel east > west as you suggest, but I read that its easier altitude acclimatization west > east; we figured we needed to travel through Khorog in the event we needed a visa to visit the Afghan Wakhan; and we wanted to ‘save the best for last’. In the end it appears doubtful that we will pursue an Afghan Wakhan visit/trek (but this way we have the option if need be), so I will talk to my friends about re-routing.
- True the drive from Murghab > Osh is very long, which we are aware of, but will reassess to see if we need to break it up. We will be camping throughout, so if need be we can just aim to get as clsoe to Murghab as possible, and camp out wherever that ends up being.
- Good to know re: Khorog > Langar, I got mixed impressions about the road/terrain so was budgeting more time between the two.

bwv812 wrote:In addition to the above, this only comes close to being realistic if you have hired a vehicle beforehand and are doing everything in that vehicle. Even so, you don't have much buffer time in case anything goes wrong.


- Absolutely. We have a tentative hold on a 4x4 for self drive which we would use for the entire trip.
- Re: buffer time, given we are focusing on rural/outdoor experiences, I am considering our ‘free’ days in Tashkent and Dushanbe; as well as the night in Bartang Valley, and the second day in the Wakhan (Langar area) as ‘buffers’ if need be, in the event we need to make up time and adjust course.

Julia wrote:Hi.
Nice plan.
I think Uzbek part is too short and Kazakh part is only one resort.
I'd go to Samarkand and Bukhara cities in Uzbekistan as well. Very very beautiful and interesting cities.
In your plan you seem quicky pass Samarkand.
Spend at least one day in each city.
I wouldn't miss this opportunity.

And Kazakhstan is so underrated country in CA. Seems like you skip it at all.
As you're traveling to the resort you can include other places in the South of Kazakhstan (the canyons, lakes, Altyn Emel park, Almaty city and is surroundings are very beautiful).
Easy to travel around there as you have a car.


- You’re right, the Uzbek and Kazakh parts are definitely too short, and trust me we have considered and tried to expand these legs of the trip, but its likely not possible based on our timeframes and the fact that we are prioritizing our time in Tajikistan; therefore this is my attempt at trying to strike a balance.
- In my more detailed itinerary I have budgeted a ½ day in Samarkand, en route to Panjakent.
- Re: the Kazakh leg, the plan is to drive from Bishkek to Zhabagly (or Түлкібас if we can reach it in time). The next morning the plan is to drive to Aksu Canyon, through Ontusik- Galkino- Sultanrabat-Rabat to then connect to the A2 and onwards to Tashkent.
0 x


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Itineraries & trip reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests