Tajikistan-Afghan border, Pamir Highway

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
Oliver1708

Tajikistan-Afghan border, Pamir Highway

Post by Oliver1708 »

Hello there

My friend and I are planing to take a trip across the Pamir highway by car, and we were wondering if the passage where you ride on the border between Tajikistan and Afghanistan are to be of a concern.
We are from Denmark and will be going in a car with danish plates on.
We are planing to be there around mid may this year.
I hope som of you have som experience you can shere with us.
1 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Tajikistan-Afghan border, Pamir Highway

Post by bwv812 »

Lots of people drive it with no problems. The only known incident of violence targeted at foreign tourists along the M-41 is the killing of 4 cyclists last year (they were run down by a car), and that was very unusual.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5576
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

AreWeThereYet?

Post by AreWeThereYet? »

I've gone up and down the Panj river valley and I saw nothing of concern. True, Afghanistan is on the other side and there's very little, or so it seems, in terms of security - a few squaddies on patrol, police checkpoints more interested in collecting baksheesh (the only ones who didn't ask for money were the OMON) - but I think the big business lies in other activities (read opioid smuggling) than in kidnapping foreigners. Then again, there's little to do if you meet the one deluded douche who has failed in life and turns to Daesh fantasies in order to give a meaning to his existence... but the same could happen in London, Paris or the US.

The biggest worry could be coming from other traffic and stray farm animals. We had a few close encounters with suicidal cows or folks who thought "mmmh, here's a blind bend and the sun will be in the drivers' eyes: I shall cross the road here!".
1 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

Lovetheworld

Post by Lovetheworld »

I liked the Northern route over Obigarm and Tavildara a lot. Well it was a shi*tty road, but beautiful scenery.

The rest along the border road is fine, I don't remember it as very busy. You can sometimes wave at Afghani people.

From Khorog you can keep following the road along the border southwards, and there you have less traffic.

We even followed the border all the way to the Zorkul lake and it was fine. For that last part you need 4x4 and a permit which you buy in Khorog.
2 x