North Pakistan to Osh via Xinjiang

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
josetxo

North Pakistan to Osh via Xinjiang

Postby josetxo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:52 am

Hi,

I hope I am posting in the right place.

My partner and I would like to travel from North Pakistan to Osh via Karakoram Highway and Xinjiang between late July and August. In Osh we would rent a car to explore the Pamir Highway and then cross to Uzbekistan (from Osh) and end our trip in Urgench (Khiva). For more than a year I have been following caravanistan and I -think I- have read everything that needs to be read before planning a trip like this. I am a bit concerned with the situation in Xinjiang and I have some doubts I hope you can help me with...
1. Xinjiang. Originally, our plan was to spend some time in Xinjiang, heading north-east from Kashgar up to Dunhuang and then fly Urumqi-Osh. Given the situation in Xinjiang, I assume we better stay as little as possible in the region, just a couple of days in Kashgar and then head Osh vía Irkeshtam Pass. However, I would love to visit the Taklamakan...is this doable from a day trip (or 2 days trip from Kashgar)? Is it advisable given the situation? Any suggestion on what else to do/visit in/near Kashgar that does not involve spending most of our time in endless police checkpoints and interrogations?
2. In this case, would you advise doing North Pakistan-Osh or Osh-North Pakistan? I have found more info (especially regarding border crossings) for the first option...but I wonder if there might be any difference at all in terms of times and transport for border crossing, etc.
3. Any other advice regarding these plans?

Some further info...EU passports, no links with any of these countries, no religious affiliation. I visited Tibet (Lhasa) in 2009 and we have a few stamps from muslim countries in our passports but none of this should be an issue, I guess.

We will be happy to report up to date info on our trip in this forum (if we manage to do it!)

Thank you in advance!

Best,

Jose.
0 x

AreWeThereYet?

Re: North Pakistan to Osh via Xinjiang

Postby AreWeThereYet? » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:14 am

Hi Jose

I'm not really answering your question points 1&2, but... I don't remember seeing a Osh-Urumqi flight at all. Checking the daily departures and arrivals in Kyrgyzstan the only airport linked to Urumqi seems to be Bishkek. Also, are you planning to take the same Kyrgyz-plated rental car from Osh to Tajikistan and then into Uzbekistan to be left there?
0 x
www.awtytravels.com
Stories from the road.

josetxo

Re: North Pakistan to Osh via Xinjiang

Postby josetxo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:23 am

Hi,

The flight Urumqi-Osh is not a direct flight. If I remember right, it is a twice a week flight -at least, last time I checked- with a relatively short stop-over in Novosibirsk and the price was fine (around 150€). As I explained in the previous post, I am not considering that option any more. As to the rented car, we would pick it up and drop it off in Osh. We would only drive it to the Pamirs Highway and back and then cross to Andijan (Uzbekistan) from Osh by bus/taxi/whatever affordable combination of transport is available.
0 x