Best order to see Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan

Post your itinerary questions and trip reports here
dhat2

Best order to see Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan

Postby dhat2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 am

Hello,

I'm planning a trip in which I will be leaving from either Tashkent or Samarkand to see parts of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan. My first idea was to go directly to Dushanbe, doing the pamir highway all the way to Osh, and then continuing up north through Kyrgyzstan and eventually into Kazakhstan. However, it seems like getting from Tashkent/Samarkand to Dushanbe is a little time consuming and tricky from what I've read online, though I've seen conflicting reports. My second idea was to go from Tashkent straight north to Shymkent, and then work my way east to Almaty before heading south through Kyrgyzstan and finally doing the pamir highway from Osh to Dushanbe. This seems better to me, mainly because Tashkent->Shymkent seems easier, and because the southern part of Kazakhstan seems well connected by train, making its traversal easy. A third idea of mine was to skip the pamir highway and go straight from Tashkent to Osh, and maybe heading south to see some of the Eastern pamirs before heading north.

Does anyone have an idea of what the easiest/most logical way to cover these 3 countries is? I'm having a hard time judging which border crossings are a good idea for me to take, and what areas are harder to get across. I know this might be an unanswerable question, but any information to lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Re: Best order to see Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan

Postby bwv812 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:56 pm

Samarkand to Dushanbe is pretty easy since they reopened the Penjikent border last year.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Best order to see Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan

Postby steven » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 am

Bit difficult to say since you did not write what your main interests are, your age, or how much time you have.

Tashkent - Shymkent - Almaty - Bishkek - (more of Kyrgyzstan) - Osh - (Pamir-Alay) - Pamir Highway - Dushanbe - Samarkand - Bukhara - Tashkent is a pretty standard way of doing these 4 countries.

Makes a lot of sense in many ways: Kazakhstan to ease into things, Kyrgyzstan to have fun on the jailoo, the overpowering harsh beauty of the Pamirs, and finally relax and soak up some architecture in Uzbekistan.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D