Georgia to Russia Border crossing (Zemo Larsi - Chertov Most)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
kenyon

Re: Russia - Georgia Border Crossings Updates

Post by kenyon »

Hey
My brother and I are now waiting in aqtau for our bikes after we shipped them 6 days ago from tbilisi for 700 dollars.
When we will receive the bikes I could tell you if it was good or not
0 x

Yourneighbourtotoro

Re: Georgia to Russia Border crossing (Zemo Larsi - Chertov Most)

Post by Yourneighbourtotoro »

Steve.M wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:20 am
Yourneighbourtotoro wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm
It's been good to read all your responses, as I'm planning on making the trip next year. Any idea what it might be like for a late 20s solo female British tourist who doesn't speak Russian? Easier, or would they give me a hard time?

I've been to Russia before (Trans-siberian trip) with an old visa in my passport, and Georgia several times.
Hey, did you ever do your trip? If so, how was the crossing?
Sorry for the late reply, not logged in in ages! I didn't do it in the end, COVID etc. Still hugely interested in the north caucasus but not sure if I see it happening for a while...
0 x

raycooknz

Re: Russia - Georgia Border Crossings Updates

Post by raycooknz »

Well thought I would give an update to my resent Russian Border Crossing after my Toyota Landcrusier being stuck in storage for 2.5 years due to covid.
I proceeded to the Verkhnii Lars border on the Russian side and was told by customs guard that I have a big problem.... Well after 6 hours of investigation and negotiations they decided I would have to pay a 1,500 ruble fine and I could cross into Dariali on the Georgian side... I was very happy to pay and proceeded towards Sarpi - Georgia - Turkey Border then Bulgeria - Serbia - Hungary - Slovakia so happy to say my vehicle is now in the EU and Im free to keep on travelling
Regards
Ray
1 x

Valibean

Post by Valibean »

Did anyone cross from Georgia into Russia recently? Would love an update if anyone has. Still trying to find a way from Turkey into Central Asia by land.
2 x

MikeTheLiid

Post by MikeTheLiid »

Can you buy third party car insurance at the border for russia
0 x

Suba-Round-The-World

Border Georgia - Russia

Post by Suba-Round-The-World »

Hello,
some people say, the border Georgia - Russia is closed for all foreigners.
Has anybody news of this border? We want to travel in May through this
border for our trip to Mongolia and this is the only way we can take.

Greetings. :)
0 x

Def

Re: Border Georgia - Russia

Post by Def »

Suba-Round-The-World wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:32 pm
Hello,
some people say, the border Georgia - Russia is closed for all foreigners.
Has anybody news of this border? We want to travel in May through this
border for our trip to Mongolia and this is the only way we can take.

Greetings. :)
Closed for foreigners? That would really surprise me... I have plans to cross this border in October and to drive through Chechnya and Dagestan to Astrakhan (in order to cross the border there and to enter Kazakhstan). So also for me, any updates and advice on this stretch are welcome!
0 x

guy.brush

Post by guy.brush »

I heard that no transit visa are issued anymore there. Not exactly the same as "no crossing for foreigners", but it goes in a similar direction...
0 x

Suba-Round-The-World

Post by Suba-Round-The-World »

guy.brush wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:38 pm
I heard that no transit visa are issued anymore there. Not exactly the same as "no crossing for foreigners", but it goes in a similar direction...
From where do you have this information?
Ii talked to many people the last few days and they said that the border is open. This were people who crossed it in the last two weeks. So everything is good. :)
1 x

Cristy

Post by Cristy »

Hello! We are planning to cross the border in May (Georgia to Russia) and to apply for a transit visa in Tblisi. What is the current status of and possibilities for crossing the border?
Many thanks!

Update: NO transit visas are for Russia issued to foreigners in Tbilisi anymore. You have to apply for a tourist visa in your home country!
0 x