Wagah Border (Lahore - Amritsar) PAK - IND

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
AsiabyBike

Re: Wagah Border (Lahore - Amritsar) PAK - IND

Post by AsiabyBike »

Can anyone share any experience / advice on crossing the Wagah border with a Pakistani evisa?

I ask as one of the evisa requirements is proof of a return flight, which I wouldn't have if i was leaving Pakistan via a land border...

Thank you
0 x

olig

Post by olig »

Heard the border was open again? Anyone able to confirm, or share any direct or indirect experience?
0 x

Lotte

Post by Lotte »

To the Okolas.
We are a danish family leaving for a one year overland trip in July. Orginal pre covid plan was China, which seems out of reach for a longer period to come. We hope to reach Nepal. If you get any news about the pak-India land border, we really would like to know. Or if you actually manage to cross the border this summer. We would like to apply for a multiple entry India visa before we leave but not easy to state a land border as entrance on visa application if border is closed for tourists.
Let us know!!
1 x

Roadtophnompenh

Re: Pakistan -India by road?? or ferry??

Post by Roadtophnompenh »

there is a french guy who made it to India a couple of weeks ago on his bike, look for it on youtube, at the border, the indian officials said he ws the first in 2 years. I am going the same way leaving belgium in hopefully 2 months !! How far did you made it already in your campervan ???
0 x

jaaf

Re: Pakistan -India by road?? or ferry??

Post by jaaf »

Pakistan - India border is open
1 x
The goal is to die with memories, not dreams!

Roadtophnompenh

Wagah border crossing

Hi Steven maybe this could be an different thread (gij snapt da wel denkik).
I just crossed the Wagah-border into India, everything very nice and straight-forward.Nice people, everybody speaks at least reasonable english. It took me from my Lahore-centre hotel, to my Amritsar-center hotel, which is 70 km about 3.30h (by car).
Friendly people, all very intersted in you (belgian chocolat and beer).
If crossing, the guy who stamps your carnet at the PAK-side did offer me a more then suspicious offer to change euros to IND-rupee. He was not in uniform, but older and told me he was the retired officer to stamp carnets, and i believe him. Changed 300 euros to 25000 INR, whats really good. Useally i try to change before the border, as most people think only after it, you get good rate, but in Lahore its almost impossible to find INR, i tried, didnt find. If a excange-rate is to good to be through, usally, it isnt.But i think i didnt get scammed, the amount is right, and i payed the first toll-gate allready for 100 INR, which is useally problematic if you come from the border without 1 INR.
IF i was tricked, i will let you know !!
0 x

chump_chop

India/Pakistan Wagah border crossing to-and-fro

Post by chump_chop »

First time posting here so sorry if it's in the wrong place...

Travelling to India in a few weeks as a UK citizen with a 1-year multiple entry visa - hoping to pop into northern Pakistan via Wagah border crossing - will get the Pakistani e-visa for this - and then to return to India via the same crossing a few weeks later.

Have heard from people off-hand that I might have trouble getting back into India having been in Pakistan (or into Pakistan at all, having been in India), though I haven't read anything online about anyone who's actually had any problems.

Assume it's all just paranoia and I'm not likely to have any problem doing this?

Thanks!
0 x

Roadtophnompenh

Re: India/Pakistan Wagah border crossing to-and-fro

I crossed Wagah late october, no problems at all, but to obtain your PAK-visa you need an LOI, i used Lost Horizon Tours in Gilgit, straight forward, but they ask 100 US for it, plus about an other 100 US for the visa itself, was my most expenisive visa on my trip from belgium to Cambodia !! Took about 2 weeks for me, with belgian pasport !!
0 x

FrickStar

Re: India/Pakistan Wagah border crossing to-and-fro

Post by FrickStar »

chump_chop wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:20 pm
First time posting here so sorry if it's in the wrong place...

Travelling to India in a few weeks as a UK citizen with a 1-year multiple entry visa - hoping to pop into northern Pakistan via Wagah border crossing - will get the Pakistani e-visa for this - and then to return to India via the same crossing a few weeks later.

Have heard from people off-hand that I might have trouble getting back into India having been in Pakistan (or into Pakistan at all, having been in India), though I haven't read anything online about anyone who's actually had any problems.

Assume it's all just paranoia and I'm not likely to have any problem doing this?

Thanks!

Hi Chump_Chop
Just wondering how you got on? I am look my to do the same shortly. Land in India from Australia, cross Wagah to Lahore for a week and then Head back to India for a week before flying home.
Any info you may have would be fantastic
0 x

chump_chop

Post by chump_chop »

Hi sorry slow reply here - had no problems with crossing to and fro from India to Pakistan and back in March 2023. Pakistan visa application process took a bit of time - like 3 weeks - and they asked us for a full itinerary in Pakistan (which I made up) and then to attend an interview in London - which I said wouldn't be possible since we were in India already. Once visa was sorted then all was very much standard border crossing fare - waiting around, getting passports stamped. No difficult questioning or any issues at the border at all, in either direction. And we managed to time the first crossing with seeing the closing ceremony (highly recommend).
0 x