Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Piranshahr/Haji Omran) crossing

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
togreiser

Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Piranshahr/Haji Omran) crossing

Postby togreiser » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 am

I'm crossing this border in September, and this is my research so far. I'm coming from Tabriz and i'm going to Ebril.

I have contacted Nasser Khan at Tabriz Tourism information, but he tells me that there is no bus from Tabriz
    I have had an offer for taxi from Tabriz to the border for USD40. That sounds expensive, but okay. I like to have thing prearranged
    I have had an offer from the Erbil View Hotel to pick me up at the Iraq side of the border and transport to hotel for USD150. That sounds very very expensive

I'm not on a tight budget, and I like to have stuff prearranged, but I would like any advice to do at least the Iraq part cheaper.

Any and all advice about this border-crossing is welcome
0 x

blakep76

Re: Iraqi Kurdistan - Iran (Piranshahr/Haji Omran) crossing

Postby blakep76 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:40 am

150usd is very expensive, but it's something like 5-plus hours each way to the border. cheaper if you wanted to arrange a car to/from sulaimaniyah or halabja first (both are worth checking out) and overnight in one of those cities first before doing onward transport the next day.
2 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Postby bwv812 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 am

When I visited in 2012 I took a bus from Urmia to Erbil. Though a lot has changed, I suspect they're up and running again (and it's easy to get from Tabriz to Urmia).
1 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

togreiser

Iran -> Iraq: Piranshahr – Haji Omran

Postby togreiser » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 am

I did not find any post for this bordercrossing

I crossed this border with buss in September 2019. It was a great experience as it included the Hamilton Road.

I took the bus from Urmia, Iran to Arbil, Iraq. I booked it online and cost was 15 euro.

Bordercrossing was easy and friendly. We had to wait for the buss to get thru for 1-2 hours. Everything else was great.

The Hamilton road in Iraq side was fantastic. There are a lot of checkpoints on the Iraq side
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 am

Here is some more info:

For the bus from Tabriz, contact Nasser Khan at Tabriz Tourism information: +98 411 553 6594 or his whatsapp +98 914 116 0149. His office is near the bazaar. Apparently he speaks 8 languages.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

togreiser

Postby togreiser » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am

@steven : I did contact Nasser Khan. There are no direct buss from Tabriz - Arbil. Only from Urmia

And also, could you link this from the border crossing page?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:53 pm

togreiser wrote:@steven : I did contact Nasser Khan. There are no direct buss from Tabriz - Arbil. Only from Urmia

And also, could you link this from the border crossing page?

Sorry, did not notice there was no link yet. I updated.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D