Kyzylart - Bor Dobo border crossing (Murghab-Sary Tash)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
bocekm

Re: Kyzylart - Bor Dobo border crossing (Murghab-Sary Tash)

Post by bocekm »

Kyr->Taj with a car:
Make sure you have the customs declaration for your car you got when you entered the Eurasian economic union. The Kyrgyzs will require it otherwise they won't let you out of the country. We got it on the Ukraine/Russia border and we threw it out after exiting Russia thinking that it was just some Russian stuff. Fortunately we found it in a rubbish.

We paid eco tax of $15. They told us it is to be paid no matter if entering or exiting Kyrgyzstan and we didn't pay that when entering from Kazakhstan.

On the Tajik side no drugs or baggage checks. The customs guy wanted $25 for the car. Then he sent us to a building with blue roof where they wanted $3 (25 somoni) for both veterinary and quarantine stuff. We got receipts for everything.
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

Shame on him! Thanks to report that.
RR.
0 x

roro

Post by roro »

I've crossed this border last June , with my wife , very easy , no harassement (but we are almost 70 years old…)

RR.
1 x

golandy

Post by golandy »

Please note you should only pay 1000 som / 15 usd on kyrgyz side and 25 usd on tajik side.

We were bribed as well on tajik side for all the bogus stuff, we knew it was all fake so we stalled for 30 minutes and ended up paying 3 USD for the three fake documents so we could get to Karakul before dark. The guys got really agressive, but were high fiving and splitting the bribe after we paid.
2 x

MarieEmilie

Post by MarieEmilie »

Crosses yesterday, by public transport. Very straightforward, no brides asked, no harassment. Very smooth on both sides.
1 x

murg

Post by murg »

Crossed this border today
Everything written ist true.

Officer in the left Side building showed us some official doc & wanted to see ours - we did not have it.
He said sth. regarding a fine. I kindly explained to him that we do not need to have this doc, that I checked this with the MFA in Dushanbe (not true) & that I have the contact to the MFA right here at my phone (true, but for different reasons).
I pulled out my phone to show him the name at MFA, he did not want to see it & dropped the issue immediately.

All the other 'officials' were slow, unfriendly,....

Kyrgyz Border super cool & straightforward.

Regarding the road between the borders: First 3-5 km (rapid descend) are quite hard, the rest isn't more difficult than the Whakan Corridor.... MOTORBIKES SHOULD AVOID WET CONDITIONS.
1 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Crossed Tajik - Kyrgyz in a car. Much the same as above.

Tajiki side not very friendly. Office on the left opposite customs seems to be the bribe office. They asked us for 80 som because we were missing a document. We said we would pay only if they gave a receipt. Standoff for a few minutes until they let us go in exchange for a beer.

Road between the two borders mud track in terrible condition, motorcyclist with us struggled. Kyrgyz border very helpful, no problems. They didn't charge us any fees or charges at all to enter.
2 x

Adrien1

Post by Adrien1 »

Hey there !

In August, I gonna take the Murghab - Och road (from Tadjikistan to Kyrgyzstan) and I was wondering if I need a kyrgyz border permit zone ?
On some travel maps, this SaryTash region near Tadjikistan seems to be a regulated border zone and on some other maps, it doesn't.

If a border permit zone is really needed, can I apply it at the border when I'll enter in Kyrgyzstan from Tadjikistan or not ?

Thank you so much for your help !
0 x

murg

Post by murg »

[quote="Adrien1"] ....I was wondering if I need a kyrgyz border permit zone ?
On some travel maps, this SaryTash region near Tadjikistan seems to be a regulated border zone and on some other maps, it doesn't.[/ quote]

We've done what you are planing:

Murgab - Sary Mogul - Sary Tash - Osh.
Furthermore, we returned to Sary Tash & went on to Irkeshtam.

Besides the Border there's only one Checkpoint Close to Irkeshtam.
We never we're asked for a permit.
No other Travellers we met mentioned a permit.

.... I guess this answers your question.

Of course the easiest way would be zu ask at the Embassy.

Have a great trip!
0 x
Riding the globe (well, at least some parts)
living in Germany

Adrien1

Post by Adrien1 »

Hello Murg,

Alright, Sounds good !
Thanks a lot for your answer
0 x