Pamir Highway landslide

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Pamir Highway landslide

Post by steven »

Just got this in my inbox, updates welcome.

Hi Steven
Just so you can post this on your useful site
Today the road 15 km from khorog heading to murgab was washed away by a big landslide or glacier melt. I went and saw it myself, a whole km of road is gone and underwater and there is no way you could wheel a bike around it either. It may take a few weeks to fix at the very least. This would be very bad to find out coming from murgab with only 15 km to go. For me I can go around the afghan boarder way. Please post this for others ASAP as I don't have an account

George

I haven't found more information online after a quick search of Asia Plus and the web. Inform yourself.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Orest

Re: Pamir Highway landslide

Post by Orest »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any updates on this? How is the situation inside, is that still possible to get a permit in Dushanbe?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/tajikistan

Still current at: 20 July 2015
Updated: 18 July 2015
Latest update: Summary: the Government of Tajikistan has declared a state of emergency in the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast (GBAO) following flooding. The FCO advises against all but essential travel to the GBAO region except for those involved in humanitarian relief. The government may not allow access to GBAO, even to those with valid permits, at the current time.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

0 x

rebobbinator

Post by rebobbinator »

I emailed Mr. Shodmon, whose address was is at the end of the PDF posted above, and asked about traveling through the affected region. He said, "The weather forecast is not promising but people are using a narrow path. Ideal would be if you don’t make it, however, if you still have to than better please plan through Roshtqala." I asked for more details about the "narrow path" and the route through Roshtqala and am awaiting a response.

Does anyone know where I can find more information about whether the government is permitting foreigners to enter the GBAO? I am currently in Osh and was planning on traveling to Khorog via Murgab by bicycle.
0 x

bwv812
China expert
China expert

Post by bwv812 »

rebobbinator wrote: Does anyone know where I can find more information about whether the government is permitting foreigners to enter the GBAO? I am currently in Osh and was planning on traveling to Khorog via Murgab by bicycle.
Try emailing/calling PECTA and META: they probably have a good handle on whether people are getting in, and how to get around.
0 x
My 2012 overland trip from Tokyo to Istanbul: https://silkroadwanderings.blogspot.com

rebobbinator

Post by rebobbinator »

Zhandiya at PECTA confirmed that foreigners may enter the GBAO but the road from Murghab to Khorog is not passable by bicycle at this time. She said that the Wakhan valley is safe and passable but that all rivers in the area are swollen and not safe to camp by.
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Here is more info: http://news.tj/en/news/tajik-mfa-releas ... evelopment

Pictures here: http://www.ozodagon.com/22653-akso-va-s ... rtang.html

and something else from Facebook: Yesterday there was mudslide in Barushan and Wanj valley as well. The road to Pamir is blocked in Wanj and Rushan. for more info on mudslide in Gunt valley in GBAO check closed facebook group "pamir news". they cancelled the roof-of-the-world-festival, as Pamir highway is closed at the momen
0 x

Yes Man

Post by Yes Man »

Hi,

Anybody have any experience with travelling from Murgab to Khorog (through the Wakhan Valley) and on to Dushanbe after the landslides? I will be there in less than a month from now.

Cheerio
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

See here for a recent update:

Open!
0 x

laurarogers84

Post by laurarogers84 »

Hey,

We returned from Khorog around 8 days ago. We met a number of cyclists who were able to pass the landslide however this involved carrying your bike and luggage over a steep trail and then getting a boat around part of it. I wouldn't feel confident doing it but if you're more surefooted than me then it shouldn't be a problem. :lol: I heard of at least 5 different people doing this.
We took a few days by jeep going along the Wakhan and planned to return the Shokh Dara valley but there was a landslide there too, so we had to return via the Wakhan which turned out well as the visibility was much clearer on our return. It seemed that every day a different road was blocked by a landslide and would take a few days to reopen and all the rivers in the area were very swollen. I'd recommend being very flexible with your plans and allow a few extra days. Well worth it though to see such a beautiful part of the world :)
0 x