Border crossing reports: Cildir/Aktas-Kartsakhi (Turkey-Georgia)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

All reports and questions on the Turkey-Georgia border at Cildir - Aktas-Kartsakhi are welcome below.

We summarize all the info at the Georgia border crossings page.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Frogs On Wheels

Post by Frogs On Wheels »

Hi there

A little update for the border crossing map.

We crossed the borders Posof-Vale twice. Once hitchhiking in October 2012 and a second time in March 2015 by bicycle. Fully open and no problem encountered.

The borders Cildir-Kartsakhi has reopened in April 2015 after having been closed since 1995. Didn't cross it yet but information has been widely spread in the Turkish news several months before the reopening.
0 x

Florian

Post by Florian »

Even though they are working on re-opening this border crossing, locals say it may take another couple of month or even a year.

Today we cycled down the (beautiful) hills towards the crossing but were told by locals and military that the border is closed. The nearest crossing is at Posof, which is another 130km!
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Turkey-Georgia border closed at Cildir/Aktas-Kartsakhi

Post by steven »

Oh, sucks for you guys! My apologies. I based myself on newspaper articles saying this was now a possibility. Will correct asap!
0 x

evanrprice
Supporter
Supporter

Post by evanrprice »

I passed through Cildir on 9th August and can confirm that this border crossing is definitely NOT open and the locals don't hold out much hope that it will open anytime soon.
0 x

Bart-Jan

Post by Bart-Jan »

I passed through Çıldır on my way to the border at Posof today and the locals told me that the border at Çıldır/Aktas reopened on 18-10.
On the Internet I found this article in a Turkish newspaper which seems pretty convincing: http://www.zaman.com.tr/gundem_cildir-a ... 22642.html

There are minibuses from Çıldır to the border, however I don't know what the Georgian side is like. Going to check tomorrow
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

How was it, Bart-Jan?
0 x

Bart-Jan

Post by Bart-Jan »

Crossing the border didn't cause any trouble at all.
It's a huge new complex but it was almost deserted when I crossed.
On the Georgian side there is a bank but they where short on Lari. It managed to change my excess lira but a 50 euro bill was to much.
Even though there where busstops on the Georgian side I didn't see any (mini)bus and only 1 taxi. I guess this will start when there is more people crossing.
Plenty of locals though so it shouldn't be to difficult to hitch a ride to Akhalkalaki. I'm travelling on foot so I didn't try myself.

The most important thing however is that the border is definitely open and crossing is completely hassle free
1 x

Pedro_CH

Post by Pedro_CH »

I confirm what Bart-Jan said.

I've crossed it at the end of August 2016. On the turkish side a 4 lanes road was buing built and on the georgian one a new 2 lane road and a train (from memories).

Pic of the new Border point:

I was travelling by motorbikebike, no problem at all and no waiting queue. It was desert.
1 x

ojones

Georgia/Turkey border just east of the Sarpi Black Sea Border = Real?

Post by ojones »

Google Maps says this is a legitimate way to cross, but I am very skeptical and don't want to waste the time driving that way if it's not. I was denied at Sarpi yesterday and am considering trying another crossing. Has anyone been to this one? Caravanistan doesn't list it as a border, but there is at least clearly a road there...whether it's open to people is up for debate (and I am wont to believe it's not).

:?: :?: :?:
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (148.09 KiB) Viewed 5572 times
0 x