Shemonaika border crossing (Russia-Kazakhstan)

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Shemonaika

Post by steven »

Hi altohr,

2 stamps: you are registered. If you feel insecure, you can still register with OVIR. I usually did that, but last time they refused me. "You are already registered, go away!" Ok then.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

khw322

Re: Shemonaika border crossing (Russia-Kazakhstan)

Post by khw322 »

It looks like this guy was able to cross from Kazakhstan to Russia in 2014. Does anyone have any current info on this crossing?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, it is open.

Last report on this post is from 2015: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1119#p3537
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Tobbe

Border RUS-Kasakhstan

Post by Tobbe »

Shemonaika

"International road border crossing between Ust-Kamenogorsk and Rubtsovsk. Roads are fine, and you avoid the busier Semey (Semipalatinsk) border crossing." From the caravanistan border map

Has someone crossed recently? still open for foreigners?
0 x

golandy

Shemonaikha - Zmeinogorsk border (Russia - Kazachkstan)

Post by golandy »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find opening hours for the Shemonaikha - Zmeinogorsk border crossing, since it seems to be very hassle free (that's how we like it!). I can't find any information on whether or not the border is open in weekends. Since our visa expires on a Sunday and we're pushing it kinda close because of a breakdown and subsequent delay, I'm really interested in learning if the border will be open on weekends.

Hope anyone has any info on this!

Kind regards,
Tessa
0 x

Tobbe

Re: Shemonaikha - Zmeinogorsk border (Russia - Kazachkstan)

Post by Tobbe »

Hey guys! we crossed that border last wesnesday on bicycles. it was easy and no Problem. i cannot guarantee that it is Open on weekend but to be honest its 99% most likely Open. we talked to locals there and asked how long its open, and they kind of replied " dont worry, Open all day". So should be fine. good luck friends!!
1 x

MichaelAngelo

Post by MichaelAngelo »

I will be trying this border in about 7 days. Canadian with my Canada-registered car. If anyone has any information on whether it is open to foreigners/multilateral please advise. Otherwise I will try and then post report when I can.
0 x

ghafari

Post by ghafari »

Just to confirm this border crossing is open to foreigners (crossed with our car with GB plate) and works 24/7 and confirmed after my chat with one of the immigration officers there. We crossed 3 days ago. 8 cars were ahead of us and fairly relaxed.
2 x

golandy

Post by golandy »

Crossed it today, so open on Saturday - quite busy, but took two hours total so not that bad.
1 x

bocekm

Post by bocekm »

Great border crossing, all officers relaxed. We arrived by car on Friday, 7pm, 10 cars ahead, all in all it took less than 1.5 hour, no baggage checks, no registration card requested by Russians.

UPDATE: When exiting Russia, make sure you keep the customs declaration document for your car/bike! We though it's just a Russian thing but no, it's valid for the Eurasian Economic Union. The Kyrgyz border guys didn't want to let me out of Kyrgyzstan to Tajikistan without this paper. We fortunately found it in rubbish, among papers for firestarting. @steven, this may be a good information to mention on the Caravanistan webpages.
1 x