Crossing uzbek and turkmen border with analog films...

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
woone

Crossing uzbek and turkmen border with analog films...

Postby woone » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 am

Hey there !

I'm actually in kyrgystan,will cross to uzbekistan in few weeks and then turkmen ( if i get the transit visa ).The thing is i ve been travelling for a while,and i use analog camera, i have quite a lot of undevelopped films in my bag. I ve heard many stories about the pictures checking at the border,
So i m a biy affraid of loosing it. I asked russian friend to write some descriptions (like "no need to open it,you will not see anything inside" or "holidays pictures") but not sure it ll be enough....

Did anyone experience this kind pf situation ?

Have a nice day !

Ro
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Crossing uzbek and turkmen border with analog films...

Postby steven » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:20 am

Hi woone, welcome! It's a good question, I have never heard of anyone traveling with analog film (this website is from the digital era). I don't think they have the technology to look at the film without destroying it, this is your problem, right? You will have to make that clear to them, but I think they only started checking pictures in the digital era. Before it was too difficult. So I think you will be fine.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

mazeno
Driving expert
Driving expert

Postby mazeno » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:33 am

i still use diapositives (now along with the digital) - i was crossing "exotic" borders with many times for last 25 years with slides (even recently, last time 2014 in the stans) and never had any problems - same with very old scanning machines and same with the clerks.
0 x
rgds -
mazeno

woone

Postby woone » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:49 am

Hey guys,
Thank you for the answers,makes me feel actually better ! I ll let you know along the way how it is ,

Ro
0 x

TheCrazyTravel

Postby TheCrazyTravel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:15 am

The problem is that they want to check everything, so they open and look all bags. They didn't really go into deep detail with each item for me, but they still took it out and look at it, which might damage your film. Try to meet someone to go with to the border who speaks Russian and can make sure to be very clear about what is it.
0 x

woone

Postby woone » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Hey guys,

little update,i ve crossed the border this morning from kyrgyzstan to uzbekistan ( dustyk ), i asked before to someone to write me in russian about the film damages on xray and stuff,went fine,they let me pass with the films.

I ll let you know about turkmen ( if i get the transit visa )

Cheers,

Ro
1 x

mwsb

Postby mwsb » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:58 am

Hi Ro,

I'll soon be crossing the border from Osh to Dustyk. I have a lot of medium format film on me and a laptop. No digital camera, just my iPhone. Wondering if you have any further advice for anyone crossing the border? Did they go through your phone and laptop etc?

I'll also be leaving via train from Tashkent to Almaty in case you have any experience at that border too. I don't speak any Russian, do you think that was necessary to get someone to write something down for you?

Cheers,
Morgan
0 x

roro

Postby roro » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:49 am

Hi, Just to say that I've crossed thse borders 2 monthes ago with analog films without any problem: I just told them to not open my cameras.
And also to say even if it is digital era, I prefer my old analog camera, even if I use also a digital one.
RR.
0 x