Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Coronavirus border closures

Post by Christian77 »

As of today, Kyrgyzstan is closed to foreigners. Only Kyrgyz citizens may enter: https://akipress.com/news:637366/
The Kyrgyz government has imposed a temporary ban on entry into the country for foreign nationals, Vice Prime Minister Altinai Omurbekova told a briefing today.

The move will not affect transportation of goods, she said. "Such restrictions are imposed by many countries in the world. We should also take such precautionary measures. There are certian procedures that should be followed. The Foreign Ministry will administer this process," Vice PM Omurbekova said.

The restriction will enter into force immediately and will apply to all countries. Foreign nationals staying in Kyrgyzstan may depart the country. Only citizens of Kyrgyzstan will be allowed to enter, the Vice PM said.
0 x

Svim

Post by Svim »

Hi,
We are two Germans stuck in Usbekistan right now.
We contacted the German embassy.
They try to oranise a flight "to Germany or to any other european country". They don't give many details and it isn't even sure if there will be any flight out of the country.
We still have Visa till 7th of April but probably have to overstay as there is no way out.
Happy to hear from other travellers in Usbekistan with which we can share any news about the situation.

Does anybody know if it is still possible to travel through Usbekistan (by bicycle) or if everything in Samarkand, Bukhara etc. closed down.
We are in Tashkent right now. Restaurants and bars still open.
Our guest house closed but we were allowed to stay.
0 x

Leona

Post by Leona »

CyclingAndre wrote: Hi Leona,
Yes, I've been to the Aeroflot Office in Yerevan today. Flights via Moscow operate according to the standard time table. I was able to buy a ticket to Berlin from here.
They try to carry as many passengers as possible, but the number of destinations seems to be very restricted.
I couldn't get any flight to Munich, so had to head for Berlin...
It's now posted on Aeroflot website that flights between Moscow and Tashkent (plus several other cities) are suspended until the end of April, so mine are definitely gone. The first leg from Helsinki to Moscow is still on, but since both countries are planning to close borders I don't see how long they can keep that up either. Interesting times for travel :?
0 x

LucasJV

Post by LucasJV »

Hi all, first post but long time lurker.

I am a Dutch Citizen currently in Uzbekistan. I contacted the Dutch consulate in Tashkent who like others also reported about the evac charter flight from Tashkent. It will likely go near the end of this week and is being organised through the German consulate. I was told it will not be free but wont cost more than a regular flight.

It seems likely to me it will go to Germany, perhaps Frankfurt as it's a preexising route but that's just speculation on my part. They're currently making a passenger list. If you are an EU citizen and have no consulate, you can contact the German one.

The news also reported the Schengen area is closing its outer borders, but I got confirmation from the Dutch consulate that it will not affect the flight from going.

I was staying in Khiva until 2 days ago when the news was announced and my guesthouse also closed, however that was a personal decision as many guesthouses are shared with the families and they don't want to take any risk. AFAIK government hasn't made any decree to close anything yet.
1 x

cycleourworlddotcom

Post by cycleourworlddotcom »

Yep, mine and my partner's Azerbaijan e-visas were cancelled with no given option of a refund. Very annoying as they were supposed to be still valid for use up to 3 months from now so they still would've been useful after the 45-day Azeri closure. Stuck in Tbilisi until further notice... (there could be worse places!)
1 x

LucasJV

Post by LucasJV »

Official word through my consulate in Tashkent regarding Uzbekistan:

All visas for foreigners are extended to April 10th, 2020. No fees or penalties applicable.

All foreigners who have tickets for Uzbekistan Airways flights will have a free seat in special charter flights. All others will have chance to purchase such tickets.
0 x

VikingBiking

Post by VikingBiking »

Hey everybody!

We are two Swedes who started a round the world bicycle journey 6 weeks ago from Sweden. We have biked across the Baltics, Poland and now we are stuck in Ukraine because of the border closures.
Our plan is to bicycle through the Balkans to Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbajdzjan, Iran, Central Asia, China etc.
Do you think it is a reasonable plan now or should we just get back to Sweden and forget the journey as it is?
We hope that the Corona crisis will be solved soon, but it seems to be unreal that all those countries we want to visit will let us in in a few months... :-(
0 x

levelo

Post by levelo »

Hey Vikingbiking.
I also started my ride 6 weeks ago from southern France.
I made it as far as the Poland-Belarus border, then all hell broke loose. Borders closing everywhere, ahead of me and behind me.
I decided to turn back on Saturday. Took a train back to the Poland-Germany border on Sunday. Managed to get to Berlin with a lift from a very kind Pole yesterday ( only the highway back into Germany was open, all other routes sealed off ). I booked a seat on a Berlin-France bus on Thursday but I am not even sure they'll be operating. France is on lockdown.
I think this crisis is going to last for quite some time. Most if not all borders everywhere are closed.
Can you fly back to Sweden from Kiev ?
Good luck.
L.
0 x

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

VikingBiking wrote:Hey everybody!

We are two Swedes who started a round the world bicycle journey 6 weeks ago from Sweden. We have biked across the Baltics, Poland and now we are stuck in Ukraine because of the border closures.
Our plan is to bicycle through the Balkans to Turkey, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbajdzjan, Iran, Central Asia, China etc.
Do you think it is a reasonable plan now or should we just get back to Sweden and forget the journey as it is?
We hope that the Corona crisis will be solved soon, but it seems to be unreal that all those countries we want to visit will let us in in a few months... :-(

This is not the time to travel and virtually all countries in your list have closed their borders. Go back while you still can and head out again when the situation becomes better.
0 x

LucasJV

Post by LucasJV »

Kazakhstan - A quick tip: Air Astana is organising repatriation flights for Kazakhs coming home. Since these planes also have to leave KZ in order to do so it may be possible to also use these flights to leave Kazakhstan if you're stuck.

https://airastana.com/global/en-US/Info ... rus-update
0 x