Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Post by Christian77 »

Viktoras wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:41 am
There seems to be some credible news from Tajikistan. The country is easing some of the restrictions, no news about re-opening borders though
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN23M0WC
Here's some critical analysis: https://eurasianet.org/the-mystery-of-t ... n-covid-19

Refusing to admit sick people to the hospital while kicking out still sick people from the same will give the Tajik government some sort of statistical "success" with its battle against coronavirus.

As for elsewhere, Kyrgyzstan is entering a second wave of infections after lifting some of its local restriction on business and transport: https://menafn.com/1100340658/Kyrgyzsta ... D-19-cases There is a much more detailed article in Russian out there somewhere...

And Kazakhstan is also starting its second wave: https://eurasianet.org/kazakhstan-grapp ... virus-wave

So... lift restrictions = second wave, at least in Central Asia. I'm assuming my next trip will be mid-2021 at the soonest.
2 x

DoubleDutch

Post by DoubleDutch »

Turkey opened the border again (not with Iran). Kurdistan is still locked, but with the right paperwork via the consulate, we got out. Report of the crossing at viewtopic.php?p=36566#p36566
1 x

levelo

Post by levelo »

As far as I know Russia is still a no-go for EU passport holders.
I've been trying to find at least some ray of hope for the summer, but failed.
Are there even talks ( within Russia ) of reopening in the next few weeks or months ?
0 x

EricAngelo

Post by EricAngelo »

This CoVid... hope it's soon over.

Had a trip to Russia in May, of course cancelled.

Now had a trip planned to Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan beginning of August. Just checked with the airlines (going through Turkey) and flight is yet not cancelled. So, still having my fingers crossed. Will keep you guys posted if I get any further info.

Had another trip to Namibia end of August which seems a bit off at the moment. Government is obliging tourists to have CoVid negative test (72h prior to departure) + asking for an extra test once landing in Namibia. They are planning to open up mid September. Just sharing this info as FYI. Let's see what Central Asian countries have planned :)
1 x

philippoc93

Post by philippoc93 »

What's the general consensus on travel next year? Do people see the central asian countries opening their borders?

A friend and I had originally planned to drive from Dublin to Magadan on our bikes last May via:

Europe
Turkey
Caucasus
Iran
Stans
Mongolia
Russia

We are very much in "wait and see" mode and would be interested to hear what people possibly in those countries feel might happen?

Cheers,

Philip
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Turkey are open at the moment, and will probably remain so if the virus numbers allow for it. I think Russia is open as well? Not sure.

Every other country: my personal guess is that they won't reopen before late 2021. That is of course, just a guess. I am also in wait and see mode.
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

Milad
Trains expert
Trains expert

Post by Milad »

I think Russia is open as well? Not sure.
Russia does not issue tourist visas at the moment. If you manage to get hold of a business or private visa, most nationalities still need to undergo a 14-day quarantine.

My guess for a reopening of Russia for tourists is next summer, if the virus numbers go down again. If a vaccine is available for large parts of the population until then (recent news suggest that this is likely), proving that you've been vaccinated might very well be required to get a visa. The same might be the case for the Caucasus countries, especially Georgia. For Armenia and Azerbaijan, reopening for tourists does not only depend on the pandemic development, but also on the current war. Let's hope they sort their problems out soon...
1 x

philippoc93

Post by philippoc93 »

Thanks both.
0 x

ZenitramF

Updates on Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Post by ZenitramF »

Good day!
Please where can I find any updates on Covid border re-openings/closures and covid requirements, mainly for travelling to Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Pakistan??
Thanks very much!
ZF
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Re: Updates on Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Post by steven »

ZenitramF wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:19 am
Good day!
Please where can I find any updates on Covid border re-openings/closures and covid requirements, mainly for travelling to Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Pakistan??
Thanks very much!
ZF
I find the Skyscanner map very useful: https://www.skyscanner.com/travel-restrictions
0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D