Coronavirus border closures & re-openings

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Jell

Re: Coronavirus border closures

Post by Jell »

A mail I get from Azedbejan:

Dear applicant,

Please be informed that according to the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan all foreigners traveling to the Republic of Azerbaijan must submit a medical certificate to prove they are not infected with COVID-19. In case of absence of the certificate foreigners will not be allowed to enter the Republic of Azerbaijan and sent back.

Please also note that in case of any doubt of COVID-19, foreigners may be quarantined. Quarantine period is determined from 14 days to the time a subsequent decision is taken.

Best Regards, ASAN Visa
0 x

CyclingAndre

Post by CyclingAndre »

Hi all,
I was sent back from the border Armenia-Georgia yesterday. It's closed for all nationalities. I wanted to cross in Bavra, but heard the same thing about other crossings.
Nobody gives information for how long the borders will remain closed.

Greetings from Gyumri
André
1 x

VicT

Post by VicT »

We just got a phone call from the tour operator that we have 3 days to leave Uzbekistan. Has anyone had similar?
0 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Post by steven »

This tweet says all flights are cancelled from 16th of March. So 3 days seems even too much. Not sure what the reality is.

0 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

brunoaroundtheworld

Post by brunoaroundtheworld »

Kazakhstan have declared state of emergency. From tomorrow at 8.00 am to 15th April borders will be closed.
1 x

billyh

Post by billyh »

Well, that’s it...that’s my Central Asia trip called off. At the last possible minute as when I heard the news I was literally in the queue to board the flight from Budapest to Nur-Sultan this afternoon, from what I could see still departed as normally (so I would have got into Kazakhstan, but not back out!). I’m fairly sure I would have been the only non-Kazakhstani citizen on board, as there was one Turkish guy who was also unable to go and we were both assisted out of the departures area into passport control.

Currently in Budapest, rapidly replanning what was meant to be a month long adventure across three countries to just a pleasant few days around Hungary instead. Hoping the borders don’t close here any time soon so I can get home.
1 x

Leona

Post by Leona »

steven wrote:This tweet says all flights are cancelled from 16th of March. So 3 days seems even too much. Not sure what the reality is.

Okay. I assume this means that there won't be any flights, not even to/from Russia? I've got flights to Tashkent in a couple of weeks through Moscow but have been waiting for these news, as there's no way I would travel that far in uncertain times like this (nearly got stuck in Poland yesterday and have no interest in the same happening in Uzbekistan). Has anyone been in contact with Aeroflot very recently? It's been difficult to find clear info on how Aeroflot is dealing with this, but I'm really hoping that they let people to reschedule now...
0 x

Jon67

Post by Jon67 »

In The Netherlands all the pubs, restaurants (and coffeeshops 🤣)are closed for the next 3 weeks. A first step to....? I consider my trip starting in Bishkek at may 20th a no go. The world is closing down...
0 x

jac

Post by jac »

Georgia - Turkey crossing at Sarpi closed. Other two land crossings may still be open.

Source:
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coro ... ay/1766260
1 x

appelyoghurt

Post by appelyoghurt »

Jon67 wrote:In The Netherlands all the pubs, restaurants (and coffeeshops 🤣)are closed for the next 3 weeks. A first step to....? I consider my trip starting in Bishkek at may 20th a no go. The world is closing down...
I don’t know if you have to know far in advance if you’ll go, but personally I would wait it out, if you can. Two months is still quite a long time from know and a lot can happen in that time. If the numbers are correct, the outbreak in China is almost over in China and South Korea has had it’s peak a few days ago (and has now more newly recoveries than new cases for a few days now) and their big outbreak (around February 22nd) started less than a month ago. And the possibility that warmer weather will help stop the virus is still there (although we shouldn’t count on it of course). Of course it can also go the other way and if you have to decide now May 20th is maybe a bit too tight. But if you can I would wait it out for a while.
1 x