Coronavirus border closures

Is the road, border or area open and accessible to foreigners? Is there danger?
Forum rules
Before asking a border crossing question, make sure you have read the relevant article about the country. Overview page: http://caravanistan.com/border-crossings/

Before submitting a crossing report or question, have a look first to see if a topic already exists. Existing forum topics are linked to from the border crossing pages on the site.

Thank you!
Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Re: Coronavirus border closures

Postby Christian77 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 am

Stuck in Kyrgyzstan? Can't find a flight? Don't worry too much. Someone asked today and found out that the fee/fine to get an exit visa if you overstay your visa is only $60.

From a reliable long-time expat: "if you are worried about your visa situation, don't worry. According to a communique between the visa center & another foreigner, if your visa expires while you're here but cannot leave, when the crisis lifts you only need to pay a 60 USD fine for an "exit visa"

And I wouldn't be surprised if that fee is waived.

Stuck in Tajikistan? Visa running out? The fine for overstaying your visa runs from $200 to $450, and they will jail you if they catch you with an expired visa. But hopefully they will be reasonable under the circumstances and waive that policy and the fine.

In both cases it couldn't hurt to call your embassy first, but the help you will receive varies widely depending on how helpful your embassy, and if you even have an embassy anywhere in Central Asia...
0 x

cztt346

Postby cztt346 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:40 pm

The border checkpoints in China has been partly closed. The National Immigration Administration (NIA) has set up a web page to release the current border status information.

https://www.nia.gov.cn/n741435/n907688/ ... index.html
0 x

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:50 pm

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/conse ... rghizstan/

KIRGHIZTAN is closed for all foreigners.
2 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Christian77 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:29 pm

A citizen of Tajikistan going to school in Kyrgyzstan tried to get home via the Pamir Highway (he lives in Alichur). But he was told in Osh that the Pamir Highway crossing is closed. This just happened today, and the information is not confirmed. But consider that this is a local who regularly crosses this border post. If he could have crossed today, he would have.

If you are insisting on attempting to cross, the Pamir Highway drivers in Osh will know, the day of trip or the day before, 100% whether that is possible.
1 x

traveLove

Postby traveLove » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am

Svim wrote:Hi,
We are two Germans stuck in Usbekistan right now.
We are in Tashkent right now. Restaurants and bars still open.
Our guest house closed but we were allowed to stay.

Bukhara Gold Hostel in Tashkent is still open.
We are also 2 germans stuck in Tashkent, but won’t fly to Europe. So if you are lonely, drop us a message:-)
Silke & Jan
travelove.org
1 x

HogoMogo

Postby HogoMogo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:16 pm

In Kyrgyzstan aparently they found 3 people with Corona in Jalalabad and now the whole country is panicking and for 10 days they say that it's "karantin" no large group of people, no museums, no hostels are open. We are now in Karakol and found a nice guesthouse to take us. We'll have to wait and see how the situation evolves. Since I don't speak Kyrgyz I don't know what's happening on the news. So I'm relying upon the internet, this forum and asking people around the city.
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Christian77 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 pm

Tajikistan will close all of its airports to both arriving and departing flights March 20.

Story (in Russian): https://asiaplustj.info/ru/news/tajikis ... -aeroporti
1 x

Christian77
Tajikistan expert
Tajikistan expert

Postby Christian77 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Tajikistan has expanded its quarantine list. The announcement was vague, but assume that both citizens of these countries and travelers who were recently in these countries will be quarantined for 14 days: China, Iran, Italy, South Korea, Afghanistan, France, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Great Britain, Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, United States.

Since the airports close indefinitely in a couple of hours (March 20), I'm not sure who they will be quarantining, seeing as you would need to cross a land border crossing and they could just turn you away. It's my opinion 100% that it is better to overstay a tourist visa in Uzbekistan and/or Kyrgyzstan instead of a 14 day quarantine in Tajikistan.

Source (in Russian) citing MFA announcement: https://akhbor-rus.com/-p3980-122.htm
3 x

steven
Admin
Admin

Postby steven » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:43 am

Some info from China I got via e-mail:

Visa extension inside P.R.C. after 2 March 2020

ALL foreigners with ALL types of visas get AUTOMATIC extension of 60 days FOR FREE.

Until further notice, "automatic" means that no intervention at/by PSB is required: the 60 days start after expiration of the old visa (or its extension date). "Until further notice" means "the end of 60 days depends on whether NIA issues new regulation, may change if epidemic is over" (see below for NIA).

Arrival in P.R.C.

Only possible to fly to 13 international airports incl. Beijing and Shanghai
All passengers, incl. P.R.C. citizens, arriving must make a health declaration and are transported to quarantine at home, with host(ess) or designated hotel (8,400 RMB all in) for 14 days. Penalties when caught outside quarantine.
Suspected cases are brought to hospital for free treatment.
Some international flights to Beijing are diverted to another regional airport.
Arrivals from P.R.C. charter flights evacuating PRC citizens from other countries also have to undergo 14 days quarantine.

Hong Kong

Same measure as above (except arrivals from Macau and Taiwan), but with mandatory bracelet provided in the airport upon arrival for checking by authorities that your quarantine is not violated. If in designated hotel: 200 HKD per day (all in). Violators have been fined and/or got prison term.
Suspected cases are brought to hospital with free treatment.
From Hongkong it is possible to cross into mainland by landborder with 14 days quarantine and vice versa also with 14 days quarantine.

Hubei Province

as of today Hubei has 0 new Covid-19 cases, but is still under lockdown: nobody can leave or enter except:
- special evacuation flights of foreign nationals incl. Hongkong citizens from Wuhan airport.
- Wechat health card holders (register with your phone number): green card holders may enter Hubei, red card holders not. (The phone will have tracked whether you pose a risk.)

Travel inside P.R.C.

Entrance/flights/trains to certain provinces in PRC (e.g. Sichuan) means mandatory quarantine upon arrival for 14 days.
All official buildings, appartment buildings and most shops will measure your temperature and all must wear masks throughout P.R.C. Some places you have to show your phone to get clearance to enter.
Home visits by neighbourhood workers to check health and wellbeing.
Suspected cases will be brought to a hospital.

Interesting too perhaps:
1. No comments were made by PSB that I had not registered within 24 hours after arriving in PRC.
2. Since my finger prints didn't work at the border comments were made about my visa of Pakistan and I had also stamps from Iran, but no comments about that.
3. At the border a strange red laser beam was directed at me (after I had passed immigration) by the customs official...
1 x
If you like Caravanistan: we have opened a tip jar! We love you back! :D

LucasJV

Postby LucasJV » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm

I managed to get out of Uzbekistan on 19 March (3 days after border closure) via an Aeroflot flight Tashkent-Moscow with a connection to Brussels. I received my ticket through a travel agency with help from my consulate, however you can also try to go to the Aeroflot office yourself to purchase a ticket, one other traveller who was going to Brussels did this successfully too. Both legs combined cost a whopping €580.

There is an Aeroflot booking office in the city, and if you have no luck there, you can go to the Aeroflot booking office at Tashkent Airport which opens at midnight. Expect loads of people so be there early.

The flights to Moscow SVO seem to for now be daily at 04:20am (you can track them here). These flights are NOT advertised or for sale on the Aeroflot website! All other flights I saw on the board were cancelled though Uzbekistan Airways does still fly the occassional charter as well.

If the flight is full the ticket you booked will be changed to the day after for free, however nobody knows how long this line will continue to operate.

Aeroflot city booking office open weekdays 9-18:

Aeroflot Russian Airlines
улица А. Каххора, проезд 9, дом 1, БЦ CITYLINE, Tashkent 100029, Uzbekistan
+998 71 120 05 55
https://maps.app.goo.gl/rZcDukpkpcXXkmGW6
1 x